• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't find MAC address or hostname (KitKat)

DewLoop

Dec 22, 2014
I need the MAC address and hostname off my LG Optimus Fuel L34C because I use MAC filtering on my home network and my DHCP server needs the hostname. The phone has not yet been activated.

I can't find anything I recognise as a MAC address anywhere on the packaging or the device itself (I thought that was a law?). According to the factory LG manual, the MAC address should be under 'Advanced WiFi,' which is supposed to be on the first tier below the Menu Button, except it isn't on my Net10 device. The only selections off the first tier of the menu are Add apps & widgets, Theme, Home screen settings, Lock screen settings, and System settings. The only WiFi-related setting under 'System settings' is whether it's on or off.

I found a "secret code" to cause the phone to display it's MAC address. The funny thing is, everybody's posting codes but nobody's telling how to input them. I finally found a YouTube video showing you enter it in the phone dialer and the 'secret' pops up the instant you enter the final digit of the code (don't hit 'Send'). Anyway, that code didn't work. For that matter, I've tried several other "secret codes" and none of them worked either.

And the hostname isn't mentioned, either in the factory manual or "The Android Book," volume 4 (2014).

Does this require an additional app, or do I have to root this phone to discover those details? If so, once it's rooted, how do I proceed?

Thanks for your help.

I finally figured out what stupid thing I was doing.

This is new technology to me; my first touch-screen device in the modern era (and the gestures stuff is giving me fits). When I hit the Menu Button, it didn't occur to me there was a butt-load more selections out the bottom of the screen. And all I needed to do was scroll down to them. Guess I'm too used to menus with them indicator triangle thingies to show you there's more stuff available off the screen. Anyway, that's where About phone> Hardware information and my MAC address were at.

That got me my MAC address, but I was still stymied for the hostname. I resorted to switching off all security on my WAP long enough to attach to it with the phone and record the hostname.

I still haven't found anything resembling a file manager that came as OE. I put the SD card in a PC and loaded the apk file for Root Browser, then reinstalled the sim in the phone, but couldn't find any way to get to it. No file explorer. Then I found the setting to let the USB be an MTP connection, which let me drop the apk file directly into the 'Downloads' folder in main storage memory. But the OS wouldn't recognize it.

That was when I broke down and turned off security on the WAP. Then I went online and downloaded the file explorer.

But the secret codes still don't take. Maybe there has to be "dial tone" on the line, or something else I lack for want of phone service. I've rubbed the new off it today, and I've solved the WiFi problem (connected now with WPA), so tomorrow I'll activate it and port my old number. I'll report back as to whether that changes anything.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• _temp.jpg
    _temp.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: BRAINZ2013
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones