• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Migrating to S22 Ultra from older Android: Challenge

twv

Lurker
Feb 12, 2013
I think I've finally got everything I want moved to my S22 now. NotSoSmartSwitch left a lot of data untransferred. Generally, it seems it was confused by (and ignored) all proprietary database file name extensions. One class of items it did handle well were all the non-system apks.

What got frustrating is that access to Android/data directories is restricted, even from My Files (why isn't this Samsung-provided app permanently given permission everywhere, or at least asking for permission for each subtree?), making even manually copying data over, straightforward on my Note 8, troublesome on the S22.

Every app I needed to address manually had a unique way to import its databases: file-by-file, a single .zip, even an entire directory tree. Some take data directly in their Android/data, some in their own subdirectory under the root, some can read and write anywhere (after asking permission, which was fine) you tell them to - they may or may not subsequently copy it themselves to Android/data. I expected trouble writing to the Flash with My Files, but I even had intermittent problems writing from a PC over USB. Unnecessarily challenging.

I didn't notice any trouble reading from Android/data over USB, so hoping I'll be able to transfer data off for my next migration in a few years.

None of my home screen customization came across, including which apps' icons I had there or how they were grouped. No Firefox shortcuts, either.

Battery life on the Qualcomm processor doesn't seem that great, even compared to my aging Note8. I've set screen resolution and brightness to minimum, and turned off GPS. I'd like to shut off more animations. It does seem that the surprisingly quick battery drain is related to my use; unattended, the battery drains pretty slowly. Maybe things will improve once the many apps I never use (I disabled a few obvious ones) get put to sleep.

Game Booster seems to have either broken, or no longer adapted, a very old app I continue to use (no ads, no permissions, no network) that comes from the days of the common menu navigation button. On the Note 8 it looked like GB added a "three-dots" soft menu button. Now without a menu, this old app is no longer useful. Would be nice if an update to GB could restore that function.

I really like whole-screen handwriting for text entry. It'd be slicker if it would distinguish between stylus touch vs finger touching, so I could scroll with my finger after lifting the stylus, without my finger scribbling text input just because I forgot to hide the otherwise nicely abbreviated handwriting assistance buttons

Yes, the screen aspect ratio continues to get ever more extreme. I wouldn't mind getting an extra half-inch of width back in a future Note, on a regular slab phone without a fold crease down the center of the display.

The optical telephoto lenses are nice. Hope a camera app update can address some issues found in the recent somewhat disappointing DXOmark review commentary.

Well for me it was no real challenge migrating from a Huawei to a recent Samsung phone.

I think I've finally got everything I want moved to my S22 now. NotSoSmartSwitch left a lot of data untransferred. Generally, it seems it was confused by (and ignored) all proprietary database file name extensions. One class of items it did handle well were all the non-system apks.

What got frustrating is that access to Android/data directories is restricted, even from My Files (why isn't this Samsung-provided app permanently given permission everywhere, or at least asking for permission for each subtree?), making even manually copying data over, straightforward on my Note 8, troublesome on the S22.

FWIW I used Smart Switch last year to transfer my stuff from a Huawei Mate10 to a Note20 Ultra 5G. And it transferred everything, except for my launcher setup. But then I didn't expect SS to manage that, with going from the stock Huawei Launcher to the Samsung Launcher.

Every app I needed to address manually had a unique way to import its databases: file-by-file, a single .zip, even an entire directory tree. Some take data directly in their Android/data, some in their own subdirectory under the root, some can read and write anywhere (after asking permission, which was fine) you tell them to - they may or may not subsequently copy it themselves to Android/data. I expected trouble writing to the Flash with My Files, but I even had intermittent problems writing from a PC over USB. Unnecessarily challenging.

I didn't notice any trouble reading from Android/data over USB, so hoping I'll be able to transfer data off for my next migration in a few years.

I didn't use a PC, mainly because I don't have one. So can't really comment about that. I did Smart Switch via WiFi, direct phone to phone.

None of my home screen customization came across, including which apps' icons I had there or how they were grouped. No Firefox shortcuts, either.

Battery life on the Qualcomm processor doesn't seem that great, even compared to my aging Note8. I've set screen resolution and brightness to minimum, and turned off GPS. I'd like to shut off more animations. It does seem that the surprisingly quick battery drain is related to my use; unattended, the battery drains pretty slowly. Maybe things will improve once the many apps I never use (I disabled a few obvious ones) get put to sleep.

Game Booster seems to have either broken, or no longer adapted, a very old app I continue to use (no ads, no permissions, no network) that comes from the days of the common menu navigation button. On the Note 8 it looked like GB added a "three-dots" soft menu button. Now without a menu, this old app is no longer useful. Would be nice if an update to GB could restore that function.

I really like whole-screen handwriting for text entry. It'd be slicker if it would distinguish between stylus touch vs finger touching, so I could scroll with my finger after lifting the stylus, without my finger scribbling text input just because I forgot to hide the otherwise nicely abbreviated handwriting assistance buttons

I've only used the S-pen sometimes for Chinese character input, and found it's definitely better and more accurate than using a finger. Game Booster is not something I've ever used, But the battery life with Snapdragon is good with my phone, and certainly lasts more than the whole day.

Yes, the screen aspect ratio continues to get ever more extreme. I wouldn't mind getting an extra half-inch of width back in a future Note, on a regular slab phone without a fold crease down the center of the display.

The optical telephoto lenses are nice. Hope a camera app update can address some issues found in the recent somewhat disappointing DXOmark review commentary.

I found the cameras on the Note20 to be good, and DXOmark gave it a reasonable review score as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Also, I've noticed that the volume control (rocker switch) and stylus don't work as in my earlier Android phones.

The volume switch doesn't follow Chromecast streaming apps (Netflix, Youtube, Prime Video, HBO, etc) when no media app is running in foreground on the phone anymore. Instead it ineffectively controls the general "Media" volume. Is there a setting that would allow the volume control to automatically follow the Chromecast streaming app with no foreground media app, the way it worked on my Note8 / Android 8?

And the stylus seems to have trouble tapping. Writing seems mostly fine (it does sometimes appear to interrupt a word into two). By tapping I mean tapping an on-screen control (with the exception of the navigation buttons) or moving a cursor in a text entry widget; seems to take multiple taps before being recognized, and selecting an entire word is hit-or-miss. Further, when in whole-screen handwriting mode, and switching to a finger in order to scroll, the finger is detected as the stylus and writing continues. Is there a setting or technique that can improve these behaviors?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones