• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can't get $ with ADB Shell command

missdeevi

Jul 26, 2010
So I followed the adb shell instructions on getting my windows 7 comp to recognize my Epic 4g. When I do adb device it shows the ID and says device. Then the instructions tell me to do cd\ cd androidsdk\tools adb shell each their own line like I did with the adb devices command. The tutorial says I should get a $ if the shell is running properly. I don't, it just freezes. I tried the one click root and that too just sits there freezes and does nothing. I waited ten minutes, nothing. My phone is in debug mode. I've restarted my pc and phone. I installed the x64 drivers first but the adb and acm drivers did not load properly so I had to install the x86 (32 bit) drivers and that worked. I know x64 is backwards compatible so it should still be about to use the 32 bit and thats the only thing I did that may be messing up. I could use some serious help. Thanks.

finally figured it out.... I had to factory reset again without any launchers. Atleast that is what it seems like since thats the only thing I did. i reset my device to factory default, then restarted my computer for the ten billionth time. This time the adb shell worked same with one click root. THANK GOD. If anyone else is having this problem and they have Launcherpro + installed, just back up all you can and reset the device from privacy in the settings menu.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones