• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help cant install on usb storage or sd card

Hello guys,
I have got the same issue. I am trying to update any application that was moved to SD card and I have got notification:
Intsallation Error
Coldn't install on USB storage or SD card.

1) move sd app back to phone and update - this one works but I have only 25 mb of internal storage and sometimes it's impossible to move from SD to phone because I am going to be out of internal storage and it takes too much time to move it there -> update -> move it back
3) clear data on market app - didn't help

Upvote 0
Hello guys,
I have got the same issue. I am trying to update any application that was moved to SD card and I have got notification:
Intsallation Error
Coldn't install on USB storage or SD card.

1) move sd app back to phone and update - this one works but I have only 25 mb of internal storage and sometimes it's impossible to move from SD to phone because I am going to be out of internal storage and it takes too much time to move it there -> update -> move it back
3) clear data on market app - didn't help
You need to have 25MB free on internal storage all the time. When you update an app that is on SD card, the phone still needs to use internal storage.

Try to clean all the cache files, for example use 1Tap Cache Cleaner from Market. Also, try to uninstall larger apps and replace them with smaller equivalents.
Check in this case the top largest apps in your phone in Settings - Applications. Sort them first by size.

Upvote 0
You need to have 25MB free on internal storage all the time. When you update an app that is on SD card, the phone still needs to use internal storage.

Try to clean all the cache files, for example use 1Tap Cache Cleaner from Market. Also, try to uninstall larger apps and replace them with smaller equivalents.
Check in this case the top largest apps in your phone in Settings - Applications. Sort them first by size.

I have 25 mb of free space. I wrote it. And I need only 15 mb of free space all the time not 25.
All the time I try to use smaller apps. But I hate Desire for its internal storage:mad: I know that I could root.
I will try to use 1Tap Cache Cleaner.

Upvote 0
I have 25 mb of free space. I wrote it. And I need only 15 mb of free space all the time not 25.
All the time I try to use smaller apps. But I hate Desire for its internal storage:mad: I know that I could root.
I will try to use 1Tap Cache Cleaner.
I think there is a check somewhere not to allow apps install if the free space is below 25MB. I could be wrong though.
Don't forget to check the list of largest installed apps.
If you decide to root the phone and need any help, just let us know.

I recommend accleaner.
This app is now called 1Tap Cleaner: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.acc.free&feature=search_result

Upvote 0
Guys, I have fixed the problem :)
When you have not enough space after installing the application some information could stay in smdl2tmp1.asec file. And then you cannot update any application that is on SD card. The most easy way is just to delete this file. Connect you phone trough USB -> go to /sdcard/.android_secure -> smdl2tmp1.asec -> delete or cut the file (it's safe because it's a temporary file) -> then update your applications without any problems :)

Upvote 0
Guys, I have fixed the problem :)
When you have not enough space after installing the application some information could stay in smdl2tmp1.asec file. And then you cannot update any application that is on SD card. The most easy way is just to delete this file. Connect you phone trough USB -> go to /sdcard/.android_secure -> smdl2tmp1.asec -> delete or cut the file (it's safe because it's a temporary file) -> then update your applications without any problems :)

Good find. You should repost that as a tip in the tips and tricks section

Upvote 0
I think there is a check somewhere not to allow apps install if the free space is below 25MB. I could be wrong though.
Don't forget to check the list of largest installed apps.
If you decide to root the phone and need any help, just let us know.

This app is now called 1Tap Cleaner: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.acc.free&feature=search_result

how to root??i ask many ppl...they dunno how to root...and i try my self...i fail :(
help plsss....

Upvote 0
Okay, another HTC Desire user with exactly the same problem. I was passed this phone, so I had to flush the last user's personal data. I updated the software (it says Android 2.3.5, HTC sense 3.0, software no 3.12.405.1). I unmounted the SD card, and erased it (I assume this is a reformat). I get this message when trying to install the London A-Z map by Zuti. This takes about 350 MBy. The 4 GB SD card has 3.7 GBy free. The phone has 858 MBy available. There is a .android_secure directory but it is empty, so there is no smd12tmp1.asec file to cause trouble. I have tried installing the app without the SD card, hoping to copy it across; and also with the SD card in; each time with a phone reboot to clear out any previous download temporary files. I am trying to install the app using the latest version of the Google Play Store.

I can probably use Google maps, so the particular app is no big deal. But there ought to be a cure for this.

Upvote 0
Well, this is weird. After playing with this since last Friday, it has worked this time. It's a big file, so I stuck it next to the router at home to get the best signal. I don't know if there is a timeout, but this time it has gone straight onto the SD card (space available went from 3.7 GBy to 3.34 GBy, which is right).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones