• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SD card formatted as internal storage question

b253tn

Mar 8, 2023
I have the SD card formatted as internal storage.
So now there are two sections on the device storage page: "SD card" (full) and "Shared internal storage" (still has space)

If the SD card is formatted as internal storage, how can I transfer data from the "SD card" section to the "shared internal storage section"?

And shouldn't they both be sharing the same storage space anyways? So why does it say "storage space running out" if I still have several GB left in "shared internal storage"?

Thanks for any clarification

How many GB is "several"? If it's 5 then that's odd, if it's 2 then possibly normal. Android needs some free internal space for caches, and it will warn you if this falls below some threshold. The threshold is a configuration parameter set by the manufacturer, so varies between devices, but these days I'd be surprised if you got below 2GB without a warning (it was originally typically 10% of the space, but the space back then was limited and apps were, fortunately, much smaller).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
How many GB is "several"? If it's 5 then that's odd, if it's 2 then possibly normal. Android needs some free internal space for caches, and it will warn you if this falls below some threshold. The threshold is a configuration parameter set by the manufacturer, so varies between devices, but these days I'd be surprised if you got below 2GB without a warning (it was originally typically 10% of the space, but the space back then was limited and apps were, fortunately, much smaller).
The "shared internal storage" has 10+ GB but the "SD card" (formatted as internal storage) has 0 GB.
So even though there is still 10+ GB left in the "shared internal storage" section, it says "storage space running out" and system functions like downloading, screenshots, etc doesn't work. Is this a glitch?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones