Can't install update.zipSupport

Last Updated: 2012-02-27 23:21:01
  1. dbanjo0335

dbanjo0335 New Member

Hello!

Bought a used droid 6 months ago. Every week or so I get an icon in the toolbar telling me that there is a system update available. When I click to install, it aborts. The messages that I get are as follows:

-- Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted.

I don't know how to check to see if the file is actually there. If it is not, why do I keep seeing the icon that says it has been downloaded and is available for installation?

Can anybody help?

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Is the DROID that you bought rooted?
  3. dbanjo0335

dbanjo0335 New Member

I don't know if it is rooted or not. How do I tell?
  4. johnlgalt

open terminal (if you don't have a terminal emulator, get one that is free from the market) and the type
    Code (Text):
    1. su
    and hit enter.

If you get a popup asking you to allow terminal to have root privileges, then you're rooted. Or, if nothing happens and the prompt changes from
    Code (Text):
    1. $
    to
    Code (Text):
    1. #
    you're rooted.

If you get an error message saying su not found, or something like that, then you're probably not rooted (that can also happen if root is broken, so that's why I said probably).
  5. dbanjo0335

dbanjo0335 New Member

It changed to #, so I assume that it is rooted.
  6. johnlgalt

yup - which means that the ROM on there is probably blocking the update.zip, since most ROMs are set to do this. Which means...

You can put a custom ROM that is newer that will completley block the update notification :D

Enjoy!
  7. Towle

Towle New Member

when I go back to the second menu to apply sdcard:update.zip it says "E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip , if I return to the previous menu from Mount USB "USB Mass Storage Device , Leaving this Menu will unmount your SD Card from your PC" what should I do so I can not unmount my SD Card when I return to the menu to apply "update.zip" ?