• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't install update.zip

dbanjo0335

Lurker
Aug 9, 2011
Hello!

Bought a used droid 6 months ago. Every week or so I get an icon in the toolbar telling me that there is a system update available. When I click to install, it aborts. The messages that I get are as follows:

-- Install from sdcard...
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

I don't know how to check to see if the file is actually there. If it is not, why do I keep seeing the icon that says it has been downloaded and is available for installation?

Can anybody help?

open terminal (if you don't have a terminal emulator, get one that is free from the market) and the type
Code:
su
and hit enter.

If you get a popup asking you to allow terminal to have root privileges, then you're rooted. Or, if nothing happens and the prompt changes from
Code:
$
to
Code:
#
you're rooted.

If you get an error message saying su not found, or something like that, then you're probably not rooted (that can also happen if root is broken, so that's why I said probably).

Upvote 0
when I go back to the second menu to apply sdcard:update.zip it says "E: Can't open /sdcard/update.zip , if I return to the previous menu from Mount USB "USB Mass Storage Device , Leaving this Menu will unmount your SD Card from your PC" what should I do so I can not unmount my SD Card when I return to the menu to apply "update.zip" ?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones