• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't remove seconday gmail account

F

fangorious

I'm using Cyanogen 6 RC2. I added a second gmail account configured only to sync mail. I have disabled all sync options for that second one but I can't remove it. I receive a message that "This account is required by some applications. You can only remove it by resetting the phone to factory defaults." I can't recall ever setting any application to use it, and I see no option to list which applications say they do. Any ideas?

Did you ever find a solution to this?

I'm in the same boat. I previously added a secondary gmail account to my phone, set to only sync mail. Now I can't remove the account as it states it is required by some applications, even though the phone was setup with my primary Google Apps account that I am keeping.

EDIT: I should note, this is on stock Android 2.2, unbranded HTC Desire.

Upvote 0
I thought I had sent you a reply to the PM you sent me after your post in this thread, but now I don't see it in my sent box.

I did not find a way around this. It turned out that the secondary account was used by the Market. My primary account is an Apps account (personal domain, not @gmail.com). Apparently Google Checkout as used by the Market can't process purchases with an Apps account, only with @gmail.com accounts. At least in the US. Only paid apps are affected by this, since the free ones don't need to process thru Checkout. The good news is that after resetting my device and adding only my Apps account, I can still download my purchased apps. So the license/purchase is correctly attributed to the Apps account, but the transaction needed my @gmail.com account (the receipt was sent to the @gmail.com address too).

Upvote 0
Hi hangorious, thanks for the info. I did get your pm but hadn't had a chance to reply until now.

My primary account on Android is also a Google Apps account, and my secondary account (the one I wish to remove) was also used for Google Checkout via the Market, so it seems my problem is identical.

It's annoying that there's not a way of changing which account is used for Checkout but good to know it can be sorted with a factory reset. I think I'll just live with it for now and reset the phone some time in the future when I have more time.

On a side note and in case you didn't already know, Google Apps accounts can now be used for most of the normal Google services including Checkout. You can find more info on the subject here: New infrastructure for Google Apps accounts. When I logged in to to my Google Apps Dashboard, I was presented with the option to migrate to the new infrastructure. When I do reset my phone I plan to use the Google Apps account as the phone's primary account and the Checkout account.

Upvote 0
Already migrated my domain. I still can't upload to picasa or mymaps with it but it's good to know that things like that are on the horizon. I'm guessing Android is the reason Google is finally taking care of the Apps vs Google account problem on all their services.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones