• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't root

Joehunni

Android Expert
May 27, 2010
Texas
Okay first for a little history, I got my hero in April, updated with the official 2.1 release from Sprint when that came out and then when they cracked root on that I rooted it using Regaws method [GUIDE] How to Root Sprint 2.1 Release for CDMA Hero - xda-developers. So I was rooted and stayed stock with some little stuff like autokiller and tethering for awhile but about a week later decided to start trying out some custom roms. Somehow, when flashing one of many new roms to try out, the installation went bad. I don't remember all of the specifics but I remember using rom manager to reboot in clockwork recovery and flashed I think Aloysius. I don't remember the exact error but I couldn't restore my nandroids as I was stuck in clockwork recovery which wouldn't let me, so my only option was to reboot. Once my phone rebooted I realized that for whatever reason, I was back to fully stock 2.1. I could still boot into the clockwork recovery but all other traces of ever being rooted were gone. I even decided to go ahead and do that .6 update while I was stock, after downloading it the installation failed and dropped me back into recovery. Now until today I decided to deal with it but decided to re-root it and start over a couple of hours ago. I followed the same guide as before and all went smooth until the part where command prompt spells out UNREVOKED. It looked normal but still showed the # sign instead of the $ sign and I didn't have the SU app in the tray like I was supposed to. I've now tried 3 times with different versions of Sync installed and everything. I even tried to RUU back to the standard official Sprint release 2.1 twice and both times just get some BS usb connection error, and I know I'm connected well. I believe somehow, I'm now unrootable. If anyone has any ideas or insight let me know as I am completely stumped.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones