• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't send emails and deleting emails doesn't sync to web

dorlow

Android Enthusiast
Jan 2, 2014
Ok, it's really starting to drive me nuts. A few months ago, I upgraded from Android 11 to 12. Immediately after the update, my Gmail quit working. I get new emails, but if I delete anything on the app or web, it doesn't sync to the other one. If I send an email on the phone, it doesn't send. It just sits in the Outbox.

I opened a case with Verizon. They sent me a replacement Pixel 5. Out of the box, it had Android 11. Tested it and it worked perfect with Gmail. It, of course, prompted to update to Android 12. As soon as I updated, my Gmail broke. (I returned the replacement phone and just kept the old phone.)

I found that if I used the Edison Email app, it works just fine. But the problem with that is I need to use an app password, and that's not secure.

I also have a Workspaces Gmail account. I have the Workspaces account forwarded to my personal Gmail account... Today I logged directly into the Workspaces account on the phone and tried to send an email and deleted an email on the phone and a different one on the web, and it all synced just fine.

So, the problem appears to be somehow specific to my personal Gmail account. What would be wrong with the way the personal Gmail account is and how it would sync with the Gmail android app?

I'm not sure if Gmail updated, but I checked for updates and it doesn't show any. I spent days on the phone with Verizon and also Google One support. We cleared the storage for Gmail, removed the Google account and readded it. We did a ton of troubleshooting. Google basically said they didn't know why. .Verizon's only suggestion was to replace the phone which didn't work.

Did the G-Mail app get updated as well as the device?

Try uninstalling any updates to the app and see if it works then.

You will need to reset all the app settings for G-Mail.

An alternative route is to uae G-Mail through your browser instead of using the app.

Upvote 0
Try uninstalling all updates on the G-Mail app and running the version that came with the device originally.

You will need to reset your G-Mail app settings, but I find that G-Mail works much better this way.

If you cannot do this in a simple way, then use the UpToDown app to do so.

Find G-Mail in the UpTo Down appstore, and locate the version that you have now.

Select one version EARLIER than your current one and try to install it.

It will tell you that you must first uninstall the version you have.
(Cannot be done because this is a system app.)

Let it try.

Most often, any updates to the original app will be deleted, leaving only the original app.

Upvote 0
Doesn't matter if it was sent directly to the Gmail mailbox or forwarded from the workspaces to Gmail. All email doesn't sync correctly.

Any difference if you try to delete email over WiFi rather than mobile data (or the other way around)?

Are you having trouble deleting the messages sent directly to your personal Gmail account or those which were forwarded there from your Workspace account - or both?

Upvote 0
I've already tried deleting the updates and there is no difference deleting on wifi or 4g. I spent hours on the phone with Google support on this. Theyve already tried all this stuff. It's really starting to drive me crazy.

Try uninstalling all updates on the G-Mail app and running the version that came with the device originally.

You will need to reset your G-Mail app settings, but I find that G-Mail works much better this way.

If you cannot do this in a simple way, then use the UpToDown app to do so.

Find G-Mail in the UpTo Down appstore, and locate the version that you have now.

Select one version EARLIER than your current one and try to install it.

It will tell you that you must first uninstall the version you have.
(Cannot be done because this is a system app.)

Let it try.

Most often, any updates to the original app will be deleted, leaving only the original app.

Upvote 0
Ok, so this is what I'm trying. I'm emptying out my Gmail mailbox. I setup Outlook in a Windows Cloud VM (seeing I don't own a Windows PC.) I'm moving all the email out of my Gmail into a PST. So far, my mailbox is pretty empty. I just tested by deleting an email on the phone and one on the web (a different one) and both synced quickly. I've had this email address forever. Maybe I finally just hit Google's limit of how many emails a Gmail mailbox could hold... lol. Ok, so I know that's not true. But I pay for 2 TB of storage for all of my google storage such as email and drive, etc. I was only using a little over 1 TB of storage, so I wasn't out of space. So, it's weird if emptying out the mailbox really works. Maybe it's time to weed out old emails anyway. Maybe I'll just archive the older emails in the PST permanently.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones