• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can't sync or transfer anything to micro SD card while it is in the phone

Nathron

Lurker
Sep 15, 2012
Hi!

I bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 16gb a few days ago, and I suppose that the OS/Samsung bloatware takes up about 3-4gb since I only have ~12gb free space.

My problem is that I have about 13gb of music (and that number will likely grow). I bought a 16gb Patriot class 10 microSD card from NCIX and put it in. My phone recognizes it, but I can not transfer files. I have tried:

• Using Songbird to sync music. It recognized my phone. If I ask it to manage the phone's internal storage, it works great (but as I mentioned, I run out of space). If I ask it to manage the sd card it just hangs while trying to transfer files. What's even stranger is that when I left it for a few hours to do it's thing, 3 of the ~500 folders got transferred. Nothing in them... just empty folders.
  • Installing Kies. It took close to an hour to install, and wouldn't even recognize my phone... terrible, terrible software. From the searching I've been doing today, it doesn't look like anybody likes this software. But that's another matter. ;)
  • Leaving the card in my phone and plugging in my phone to my PC via USB (win7, 64bit). The card shows up when I explore my phone, but I get the same problem that I got when using Songbird. If I try to drag a file, it just hangs indefinitely. If I try to drag a folder with files in it, sometimes it will transfer the empty folder. Strange.
  • Putting the card in a microSD->SD adapter and putting it directly in my computer. It works, but I don't want to have to take the back off my phone and take put the card into an adapter and into my computer every time I want to put some new songs on. Also, it would be nice to have some kind of software to manage playlists, etc. I'm accustomed to iTunes/iPhone syncing, so I'm spoiled :|

Has anybody else had this problem? Is there a solution at all?

Thanks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones