Can't take pictures due to permission errror on SD card

Last Updated:

1. byron_hinson

byron_hinson Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It seems that sometimes I can't take pictures due to permission errror on SD card. If i reboot the phone it'll work again. Anyone else get this? Also stops backup and others from running. Can see and load the photos on the SD fine though

Advertisement
  2. StevenSeed

StevenSeed Well-Known Member

Yep, this happened to me just the once the other day, but was fine following a reboot. I've no idea what causes it, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon......

3. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

The permissions on the DCIM/100media folder got screwy on my hero and did the same.

So I moved out the pics from that folder to a temp folder, del the now empty DCIM & 100media folders, reboot, then put the pics back.

I think mine happened after using the phopne in USB mode and transfering all my pics over from my Nokia.

4. StevenSeed

Thinking about it, I did this just before mine went wappy too.

I think we have an answer!

5. sparklehedgehog

sparklehedgehog Active Member

i had this happen yesterday after having the phone for over a week with no issues. the screen was also going purple in the picture preview before clicking the take photo button which then gave me the problem you also describe. looks like it ain tjust me after all then. i rebooted and fine since. weird. i hadnt even done anything to my phone before that to link in as a cause.

6. GizmoGuy

GizmoGuy New Member

I got my Desire 5th April and it has done this twice so far. Both times when I went to use the footprints app. That app just displays no picture and when trying again using the photo app I get the permission error message. Shutting down fixes it for me too. Not connected it to any devices yet.

7. StevenSeed

That's it!! That has to be it because I also had a look at the footprints app that day, but i didn't know what the hell it did so I closed it down.

And if you say you didn't connect it to computer it can't be that, so it must be the footprint apps!

8. cvdbout

cvdbout New Member

Its happened twice now to me, neither time was I using the footprints app, unless it starts acting fnny 24-48 hours after opening it... :(

Would be nice to have an answer though. the first time it happened, it was fine, then 2 hours later, I unlocked the screen, and the message was staring at me. I did think it could be syncing, but then realised I don't have syncing on, so not sure what it could be.

9. GizmoGuy

GizmoGuy New Member

The Footprints app makes use of the camera, so it looks like writing pictures to the SD card from any app could be a problem.

The app lets you take a picture of your location and it will pin it to a map so you can get a list of the locations you have visited. I used it to build up a history of a recent 2 day holiday to London. The SD permissions problem occurred once during that trip. Two days later I was walking along a footpath and decided to capture a footprint of where I was. I found the Footprints app did not capture a picture and on trying the camera I got the permissions problem again.

Something seems to be changing the permissions so you can't write to the SD card and a reboot resets them again. :(

10. byron_hinson

byron_hinson Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is this something that can be fixed by a new SD card or is it something we have to live with? It's pretty annoying.

11. tbl

tbl Well-Known Member

I'm getting this all the time, oddly it seems to be brought on by the Guardian app trying to download the news

12. n.i.c.o

n.i.c.o New Member

I have exactly the same problem with a HTC desire (once a day), and it's really annoying
    is someone contact HTC or open an bugtracker on google android website ?

13. Edd

Edd Member

i had this last week, got so bad that it eventually started saying my memory card was corrupt, so had to transfer all my files to the computer and format the memory card. seems fine now though

14. rugbyandroid

rugbyandroid Active Member

Hi All,

I've got the same problem. Left it half an hour and then it tried to take a picture again and it worked fine. Unlike some others I had not being using footprint. Any advice welcome.

15. riverboat2001

riverboat2001 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hijack the thread, but a quick question to GizmoGuy, what advantages are there to using footprints over taking a geotagged photo and placing it on your googlemaps program (or maps onine)
    No one else seems to use this, but i'm really into geotagging my photos, so could you give us a quick rundown on it in a new thread or via a pm.
    Many thanks

16. brad-short

brad-short Well-Known Member

My Two penneth - I also get this and then the problem seems to go away. Am all having SD access errors for other programs as well, Astro file manager, playing video and backup leeps complaining it cannot write to SD.

Have reformatted sd and tested card in windows and all seems fine. We need to dig deeper :)

17. solrac13

solrac13 Member

Hello there it has happen to me today my 3 days old desire did exactly the same thing, >>> No permission on sd car for pictures.

I must say that i did transfer a windows file with some pictures inside via usb few hours before.

Also when i got that error, i went to picture viewer :eek: and my surprise was that all my pictures were in Grey with a small symbol, besides the picture scrolling was very slow First time i have slow dawns in desire.

I did a soft reset and almost everything came back to normal except the picture viewer, is working now but with slow downs, and i only have 50 pictures :( I thought desire was a winner, hope I don't have to get rid of it and just grab an I phone :mad:

18. Edd

Edd Member

Right just happened again. I reckon its to do with the auto back up setting as that's what seems to trigger the message to me

19. brad-short

WEll update - have put in the 4gb card i got with phone and sent other 16gb card back. 4gb card is holding up with no errors so far. . .. HC compatability i wonder??

20. solrac13

solrac13 Member

Well if this keeps happening to everybody maybe is time to start complaining to HTC :rolleyes:

21. brad-short

May just have to. It has not happened in 48hrs for me on a 4gb SD HC class 2 (came with phone)

22. solrac13

solrac13 Member

Well I have the 4 g sd card that came with, and it did hapened ones ! so ???

I hasn't happened to me again, and today i used my desire quit a lot, so cross fingers.

Even do we count on you ! If it ended up been a defective sd card In that case we all have to raise our voice on HTC site and ask them to give us all a new sd card to all desire owners :eek:

23. johla

johla Member

I have the same feeling. Started having this problem after about two weeks of using the phone. Finally I switched off the automatic backup and the phone was fine for about another 2-3 weeks. Yesterday I switched it back on and this morning I had the error message again.

Could perhaps a solution lie in gaining root access to the sd card you think?

24. Edd

Edd Member

possibly, not to tempt fate but i;ve had no issues with it since i turned it off

25. johla

johla Member

It seems I tempted it myself. Today I got the message again. Autobackup probably not the problem...