• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cant unlock moto g boot loader on mac!

Sammy192

Jan 24, 2015
Help, I followed the steps on the motorola website to get the unlock code, And I installed the android sdk tools and when i go into the folder i installed my android sdk tools i open terminal and type in fast boot oem get_unlock_data and i always get the same respond "command not found" please help me i don't see what i did wrong!

Because a Mac is a form of Unix, you either need fastboot in your path or you have to be explicit about it.

The easy way -

Open a Terminal and say -

cd(spacebar)

Open the Finder, highlight the folder where your fastboot is installed. Drag and drop the folder into the Terminal, and after the drop, click in the Terminal and then hit return.

Now, wherever you see instructions beginning with fastboot, instead begin the instruction like this -

./fastboot

The "./" is Unix for, "find the command right here."

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Help, I followed the steps on the motorola website to get the unlock code, And I installed the android sdk tools and when i go into the folder i installed my android sdk tools i open terminal and type in fast boot oem get_unlock_data and i always get the same respond "command not found" please help me i don't see what i did wrong!

In addition to what EarlyMon has said, Is that the exact command you're typing (the bit I've highlighted)? There's no space between fast and boot.

Also try with our slimmed down ADB/Fasboot package: http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Because a Mac is a form of Unix, you either need fastboot in your path or you have to be explicit about it.

The easy way -

Open a Terminal and say -

cd(spacebar)

Open the Finder, highlight the folder where your fastboot is installed. Drag and drop the folder into the Terminal, and after the drop, click in the Terminal and then hit return.

Now, wherever you see instructions beginning with fastboot, instead begin the instruction like this -

./fastboot

The "./" is Unix for, "find the command right here."
I did what you said I opened my finder and got the folder that my fast boot is installed in (platform-tools) and dropped the folder into terminal and then hit return and then I got a message saying (platform-tools) is a directory so then i did what you told me and begin the instruction like ./fastboot and i got a message saying xxxx is a directory?

Upvote 0
I did what you said I opened my finder and got the folder that my fast boot is installed in (platform-tools) and dropped the folder into terminal and then hit return and then I got a message saying (platform-tools) is a directory so then i did what you told me and begin the instruction like ./fastboot and i got a message saying xxxx is a directory?
I don't think that you did

cd(spacebar)

In the Terminal before doing the drag and drop.

Try exactly what I suggested again. :)

Upvote 0
Your two commands are going to look like this -

cd /somethingsomething/platform-tools

./fastboot oem get_unlock_data

I can't say what the "somethingsomething" is because you got the full SDK instead of the Mini-SDK at http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

And tell you what -

After the cd command, I want you to copy and paste the following two lines into your Terminal and copy and paste back what it says -

pwd
ls -lFa

Upvote 0
Your two commands are going to look like this -

cd /somethingsomething/platform-tools

./fastboot oem get_unlock_data

I can't say what the "somethingsomething" is because you got the full SDK instead of the Mini-SDK at http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081

And tell you what -

After the cd command, I want you to copy and paste the following two lines into your Terminal and copy and paste back what it says -

pwd
ls -lFa
I got the boot loader code I put down /fastboot after platform-tools and so on.
But when I got the key I pasted the code onto the motorola unlocking website and it said my device does not qualify to be unlocked does this mean my device can't be unlocked I have a moto g xt1039

Upvote 0
I got the boot loader code I put down /fastboot after platform-tools and so on.
Wow. OK.
But when I got the key I pasted the code onto the motorola unlocking website and it said my device does not qualify to be unlocked does this mean my device can't be unlocked I have a moto g xt1039
That I don't know. Sounds like it.

Upvote 0
Yes, I followed the instructions on their website did I do something wrong?
I don't know.

I instructed you to get your token using two commands because you will need that sorted out if you get the unlock token.

I even gave you commands to copy and paste if you still couldn't get the two commands working for you.

You chose to go another way.

Maybe you input the code to them as directed.

I don't know - nothing personal, I just know what happened with my directions.

Review the XDA post, be 100% certain that you copied what they asked for - and I mean that in the most friendly, helpful way possible ok.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones