• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate Free at WalMart

Got a rep at minute 25, when I told her about 'Customer Attention Needed' she immediately (before I can say 'gimme mah phone!') put me back on hold. I gave up at minute 38.

I may call in later when I have time or I may not, I don't really care at this point. I'm sure they won't just charge me $499 and ship the thing (even if they did, doing a charge back through my cc company would take like five minutes), so I'm not gonna bother cancelling online either.

Upvote 0
Tried calling back to get it for free by extending my contract, but they failed again with this, as they are unable to extend my existing contract because it isn't one they offer.

What is this endless BS with them?

Oh, and to add insult to injury, from the order cancellation email:

Your order has been canceled from the LetsTalk.com system - no funds have been debited. Please be aware that each bank determines when the authorization (for the order total) placed on your card will be released. It may take anywhere from within 24 hours to 7 days later.

I should've known better than to put any faith in Walmart (or any company they work with).

Upvote 0
The free upgrade seems to only qualify if I loose my grandfathers unlimited data plan and am the primary user on the account.....which I am not. Anyone know any ways around this?
Also possibly worth noting, seems Amazon is offering $175 for users upgrading with no service fees.

EDIT: Amazon requires you select a data plan though, therefore eliminating the option to keep any unlimited plans. Boo.

Upvote 0
I just got a email saying my order has shipped!!!

1EGxp.png

Upvote 0
The free upgrade seems to only qualify if I loose my grandfathers unlimited data plan and am the primary user on the account.....which I am not. Anyone know any ways around this?
Also possibly worth noting, seems Amazon is offering $175 for users upgrading with no service fees.

EDIT: Amazon requires you select a data plan though, therefore eliminating the option to keep any unlimited plans. Boo.

You can get it for 49 if you grandfather your old contract in. That is what I did and it worked like a charm.

Upvote 0
So if it worked the "first time" for you (first/early call), where is your phone? Did they approve it? I'm confused.....did you get one @ that price, or not?

The first call was right as they opened. After a 5 minute hold I talked to a receptionist type who verified the order number, address, and phone number, and put me on hold again for the ID verification department. I was on hold with them for more than 1 hour, so I pressed 1 and left my callback information. I did this because I was sure they were going to catch all errors before shipping, so it was pointless to be on hold. Then I read that someone's no contract order had shipped, so I called back again around 11:00 EST. This time the receptionist said that there was a pricing error and offered me the currently correct choices of free phone with 2 year contract or an individual plan extenstion or ordering it for $499. Therefore the second time I called, I told them to cancel my order. If you are on hold for the ID verification part, you should hold on till you pass the 4 question test, and may be they will ship your phone. They may still recall the shipment before it gets to you, but your chances improve greatly once it is on a truck.

Upvote 0

Time of chat:
7/19/2010 11:01:04 AM Length of chat: 00:06:02 Your name: Ed Chatted with: Melva B 10:01 AM Melva B: Thanks for choosing Customer Support Chat!

When you are ready to disconnect, please click the END CHAT button at bottom left of this window.
Hello, Ed. How can we provide assistance?
10:01 AM Ed: Been on hold for over an hour regarding order 139xxxxx (Customer Attention Needed). What's the story with your callcenter?
10:03 AM Melva B:
10:03 AM Melva B: I do apologize there was an error with the pricing for that phone on our website. The price for the Samsung Captivate is $499.99.
10:04 AM Ed: Then why didn't they just cancel the order and avoid your customers waiting on hold forever? Or send us an email? Or call us? Pretty lousy service.
10:04 AM Melva B: How would you like for me to proceed with your order Ed?
10:05 AM Ed: That didn't answer my question. I would like you to proceed for the price I purchased it for.
10:06 AM
Melva B: I do apologize the price for the phone is $499.99 and it will not be reduced.
10:07 AM
Ed: Thanks .... bye.
This transcript was delivered to you courtesy of Velaro, Inc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones