• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Car adapter charging problem

cheon

Lurker
Oct 13, 2011
I can't seem to charge my phone via usb on a car power inverter(75w). It has both usb and ac plug on it. The only way it'll charge through usb is if the phone is off, the ac adapter work fine with the phone on. Is this normal with android phones? I bought this as a replacement thinking that my other car charger is broken.:(

it's prob. the voltage, it may be too high, or too low, or not regulated properly, cars range anywhere from 12 to 18 volts and cheap chargers dont handle that voltage flux well, and depending on what kind of car you have it could also be a 24v or 36v setup and that would hurt your phone if allowed to pass right through

Upvote 0
I have the same problem, when I try to charge my phone through a generic car charger my cell won't change but my friend's Precedent charges through it I don't why. My cell actually says battery not supported like when I put my generic backup battery to charge on my phone. It does charge in it's original charger and on the computer though.

Upvote 0
Well i imagine it could be software related, completely possible, have you tried a factory reset, it could also be the plug on your phone, the plug on the adapter, maybe one of the two has some sort of gunk that's not letting it charge properly, try alcohol, but get something that is highly concentrated, the stuff with only 10% will hurt more than it helps, go with at least a 70% solution. it could also be a factory defect, so if you can wipe it and return it and try again

Upvote 0
Mine is brand new, I actually have another charger with only a usb on it, I thought that was broken so I bought a new one. I don't know if one of the apps is the reason behind it, but I'll try and do factory reset again. The last time I was having a problem adding contacts on my phone, it says save contact but not showing on contact list so I did a factory reset and that fix it.

Upvote 0
Mine is brand new, I actually have another charger with only a usb on it, I thought that was broken so I bought a new one. I don't know if one of the apps is the reason behind it, but I'll try and do factory reset again. The last time I was having a problem adding contacts on my phone, it says save contact but not showing on contact list so I did a factory reset and that fix it.

Unfortunatly for us Samsung got in a RUSH to fill Straight Talks orders for phones, and released a bunch that have had problems, i have been thru 3 before i got one that worked right (number4) seems to be working fine i use the car charger from my fiancees Droid X when we are out and about and it charges my phone fine, you might want to look into a good Quality Car Charger and if that doesn't work take the phone back for replacement.. if you got it from walmart and didn't order it thru straight talk

Upvote 0
Found an inexpensive car charger at the Walmart check out only after searching the phone store and electronics section thoroughly.. Less than a Lincoln and its yours too.. no prob charging. short leash 31"

Vivitar Micro/Mini

14566775.png

076bf664.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones