• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Car Dock Discussion Thread

I've never used a universal mount like that before. How is the grip on the phone? Can you cinch it down pretty tight?

Upvote 0
I was always curious about the vent clips - doesn't the heat/AC have any affect on the phone? I would hate for the cold AC to cause condensation on the screen or moisture inside and heat causing the phone to overheat. Any thoughts?

Also, that Kensington mount in the video a few posts up looks awesome. I'd love to see a mount like that for my Incredible.

Upvote 0
I was always curious about the vent clips - doesn't the heat/AC have any affect on the phone? I would hate for the cold AC to cause condensation on the screen or moisture inside and heat causing the phone to overheat. Any thoughts?

Also, that Kensington mount in the video a few posts up looks awesome. I'd love to see a mount like that for my Incredible.

I think it would be to the contrary. If you're using the phone, it'll be generating heat. Blowing AC on it would help keep it cool and extend the life of the battery. Now, blowing heat on it would be bad, but most people blow heat on their feet anyway and let it rise.

Upvote 0

I like that. Any concerns about the charger not being right for the Incredible?

ETA: Found that mount for $12:

http://www.circuitblock.com/sm321-micro.html

Almost too hard to pass up giving this one a shot.

ETA Part 2: I couldn't pass up trying this one out. I'm not a big fam of suction mounts, not crazy abou the idea of vent mounts (hot/cold air blowing on phone), so thought htis may be the best solution. I'll post back after I try it out. Cost with shipping came to under $18.

Upvote 0
That GPSCheap one is a neat idea, but if it has to plug into your lighter, I'd think it would be too low for safe usage. If the silicon case is stable enough, I think I'm just going to go with this. Gives me a few mounting options and is very discreet.

M2 - SoundGate.com

Damn you! Why didn't you post that 10 minutes ago. You suck!

Oh well...at least I can take mine with me. :p

Upvote 0
I have the OEM Inc car dock & love it. It does not automatically go into car mode as does the moto droid dock, which is fine by me. OEM Inc dock comes with a removeable holster. OEM car dock is very sturdy. I prefer it, greatly, over generic/one size fits all mounts. I got 25% off at VZ store. OR wait a few weeks and there will be more accessories available.

Yep, I have this one. The arm is long, and thereby bounces. A lot. Its very distracing, and I uninstalled it.

Upvote 0
I bought a dock for my eris a couple weeks back. It would be fine but the side grips block the micro usb port. So I used a dremel to cut and grind the part that covered the port on the left hand side. Seems to work well. On a side note the screen seems to lose some sensitivity when in the dock. But it works!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
I actually bought this dock from amazon. Amazon.com: Accessory Power GG-FLEX-BERRY BlackBerry FM Transmitter & Car Charger Mount Flex Pod All in One Car Kit: Electronics It says it's for a blackberry but it's actually universal. The cool part about it is that it has a built in fm transmitter for those of us that don't have aux inputs in our car stereos. It also comes with a micro and mini usb cables to charge the phone. It's not the most clean looking dock with all the cables sticking out but it gets the job done. This one is not windshield mount, it plugs into the cigarette lighter. Overall, I am happy with it. If anyone is interested, I might could get some pictures or something with the incredible in it.

Upvote 0
IMG_3503.JPG

IMG_3511.JPG

I wonder if this mount+holster will work with the EXTENDED BATTERY on the phone.....?

Upvote 0
Understood, they have an iPhone mount that's adjustable to allow for a case/skin, but as you say that's not typical. If the Micro USB port was on the bottom of the DInc, it would make like easier...oh, well... see what they come up with.

Yea, I have a proclip gps mount in my car now. My concern with their products is that their clibs typically do not offer additional space to allow for a phone to have a skin or case. They have an adjustable mount that would work for the incredible but it blocks the charging port.

Upvote 0
I bought the universal sgueeze model from VZW for 15$ works well. Tried the vent mount too floppy. Went with the adhisive mount and it holds well. You do have to off center the phone to keep it from mashing the volume buttons??? No biggie. Attaching the usb is somewhat burdensome...

Now to Google Maps GPS! HOLY CRAP! It is way better than my gps! I love it...

but.

Car app is in portrait boo
You have to select satellite view nearly every time you start it up
also have to tick off traffic view boo

Does not display speed or posted speed limit. I miss this alot. the speed limit changes constantly around Greater Cincinnati and the cops wait on the other side of the transition... Boo on gps app and the cops.

But the satellit driving view is super cool. And when you arrive it shows you the street view of the address! wee and Yay

I added a meeting to my calendar with proper address and when i arrived it showed the street view with out me asking? weird and cool!

Upvote 0
I bought a Bracketron vent mounted version which held the phone great but the touchscreen wouldn't work in it??? The screen works fine when it's not mounted or when it's in the cradle itself not mounted but once it's up in the car it won't work. Makes no sense at all. I will just wait for a specific one for the Incredible or figure something else out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones