• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Car Holder for HTC Desire HD

Oh dear. Problem with the Cu S440. :(

It won't AC charge the phone. It reports only getting a USB charge. The S440 comes with the full and proper HTC charger, which, when I plug it direct into the phone, does give an AC charge, but when I plug the charger into the holder and put the phone in it, it only gets a USB charge.

The problem with this is that a USB charge can't keep up with satnav, where an AC charge can.

There must be a problem with the wiring inside the S440. :(

Upvote 0
In regard to the CU S440 car kit, does it look the same as in the picture on htc's web site, as the description given here, about the way the phone sits in the holder, is different from how it looks on the htc web site.

I am interested in one of these holders, as the cheap one I got off amazon, is OK but the phone does vibrate about a bit, when it is in the holder.

I have the htc car kit for the desire, and it is perfect, no vibration, held firmly in the holder, and looks good as well, if the CU S440 is as good as the CU S420 for the desire, then it will be a must for me.

Can anyone with the holder, please post a picture of it, so I can see what it looks like.

Cheers

Upvote 0
OK after heading out in the car for something, I had a play with the CU S420 car kit for my Desire, and found what had been described earlier about the mini usb connector being able to slide. I can only assume therefore that (pauleden) has the CU S420 rather than the CU S440 car kit. correct me if I am wrong, it is just that, on all the web sites I have looked, the CU S440 is shown exactly the same as on the htc web site. The cable being placed in the bottom of the phone, as opposed to being inserted into the suction cup.

Upvote 0
As I have no car charger yet I cannot say, but I made the following finding today: I happened to have a USB connector for the car (lighter) at home, and if I use that together with the HTC USB cable, the phone charges as USB-connected. But if I plug in the USB plug with male-female connectors in each end that came with the DHD between the car socket and the cable, the phone charges as AC-connected. :)

Upvote 0
I've seen this:
HTC Desire HD Car Upgrade Kit - CU S400

Looking around it seems that it's made for the HD2 but works for the DHD. Has anyone here got it? Does it work properly for the DHD? Is there a problem with the power button being hidden at the top?

Also the main question, instead of connecting the car charger that comes with it to the base, connect an FM transmitter and will it work?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply :)
As much as I like the s400, better looking and the ability to drop the phone in rather than having to connect the power lead separately, I think I'll go for the desire hd specific s440. Mainly on price and ability to plug into the headphone socket!

Upvote 0
I got my S440 today (some stock appears to have arrived at Mobile Fun finally!). Gave it a quick try at lunchtime, went for a half hour drive with sat nav on and it appeared to charge the phone at the same time as running the sat nav. Battery was about 60% when I left, was full when I got there. Haven't actually confirmed that the charger is doing 100mAh but it certainly looks like it.

The S440 is supposed to allow you to attach to the dashboard as well, but can't quite see how that works at the moment - the windscreen sucker doesn't seem to want to stick to the dashboard..

Al.

Upvote 0
I got my S440 today (some stock appears to have arrived at Mobile Fun finally!). Gave it a quick try at lunchtime, went for a half hour drive with sat nav on and it appeared to charge the phone at the same time as running the sat nav. Battery was about 60% when I left, was full when I got there. Haven't actually confirmed that the charger is doing 100mAh but it certainly looks like it.

The S440 is supposed to allow you to attach to the dashboard as well, but can't quite see how that works at the moment - the windscreen sucker doesn't seem to want to stick to the dashboard..

Al.

Got mine today as well. Half a month later.

I'm still looking for a good FM transmitter for this phone. Why is it so hard for this?

Upvote 0

Al.

Confirmed this morning that whilst plugged in to the car the DHD indicates 'Charging (AC)'.

Al.

Upvote 0
I wish the S440 worked with a case. It really isn't practical for me to take my Otterbox off every time I want to use it in the car.

I suppose this means I'll have to buy a holder and HTC car charger separately. Doesn't half get expensive! :(

Know what you mean - I was looking at the S440 this morning and found myself wondering if it was really worth the ~

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones