• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Car mount - *basic* questions, please help!

blugrss4ever

Jun 12, 2010
I got the Moto car mount for my b-day but have searched the forums far and wide for answers to my basic, noob, dumb, it-should-be-obvious questions....

1. I have a minivan (Toyota Sienna 2004) (OK, let me know when you're done laughing...) and, for the life of me, can't find a flat spot to put the mount on the dash (and the windshield is a bit far for me...). Any suggestions?

2. What audio cable do I purchase to listen to music from my DX (Pandora)? I have an FM transmitter for my ipod touch but it wouldn't fit the X. What would I plug it into? Is there an FM transmitter that plugs into the cigarette lighter but that has a microUSB? Would an FM transmitter work for streamed music? Ack!

3. The charger really has to stretch tight to reach the X up on the dash. Do they make chargers with longer cables?

Thanks in advance!
:eek:

For #3, any micro-USB cable will work. You can buy them in varying lengths at Monoprice:

www.monoprice.com

I don't know if your car charger is of the type where the cable is permanently attached, or if it's one of these USB chargers. If the cable is permanently attached, just buy a USB charger like the one in this thread:

http://androidforums.com/droid-x-accessories/119451-i-recommend-car-charger.html

Griffin makes one, lots of companies make them.

I just glanced at the car mount manual to see how the mount works... maybe if you post a picture of your dash we can help brainstorm ideas on how to mount it. Are you willing to modify your dash?

Reactions: blugrss4ever
Upvote 0
If your vehicle is a newer model it may have a 3.5mm input jack you can use to play media through your minivan speakers. I use something like this: Amazon 3.5mm male to male 6ft to play Pandora through my car speakers. The one I use is much shorter about 2 feet, I don't want an extra 4 feet of wire that I do not need. If you do not have a 3.5mm input jack you would have to use a tape deck converter or a device that transmits signal to an empty FM frequency like you were talking about.

As for the charger all you need is a micro usb car charger. Make sure you get micro and not mini. You might want to make sure the charger does not use too high an amperage. I don't remember the specifics but they are somewhere on this forum.

Reactions: blugrss4ever
Upvote 0
i googled 2004 toytoa sienna dash and dont see a 3.5mm jack, just a tape player and two 12v ports beneath the shifter. unfortunately this vehicle is very cury with little to no flat spots anywhere so you can go left windshield by driver and connect 12v from the fuse holder by the Ebrake, but you will then need a long fm transmitter cable to get to the tape player.

2nd option is mounting on what looks like an ashtray or coin compartment next to shifter but you will be looking down and right for your phone...

also check here Parts for 2004 TOYOTA SIENNA - photos, charts and more 5498, this is where i go for harnesses and such

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones