• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Carrier IQ on Optimus T?

I'm curious whether anyone else has found Carrier IQ on their Optimus T. According to Lookout's free CIQ detector (market link), my phone doesn't have it. This came as quite a surprise, though, to my stepson, whose own Android phone (a much more advanced model) has it baked in. The strange thing is, he got his phone before mine; I didn't get my phone until June 2011.

Did I inadvertently kill off Carrier IQ when I rooted my phone and kicked out the bloatware (see the Rooting subforum for details)? Did I prevent CIQ from being auto-installed because I got rid of the T-Mobile "helper" apps? Is the phone so low-end that LG/T-Mo left it out because it would have killed performance? Or was my phone put on the shelf at the store before CIQ became ubiquitous?

What are other folks' experience with Carrier IQ on an Optimus T?

Background on Carrier IQ: from Wired and Computerworld

OK I've been doing a LOT of digging on this. Unfortunately I learned that my iPad has it :eek: As for T-Mo, here is a list of all their current phones that contain this software:

• HTC Amaze 4G
  • Samsung Galaxy S II
  • Samsung Exhibit II 4G
  • T-Mobile myTouch by LG
  • T-Mobile myTouch Q by LG
  • LG DoublePlay
  • Blackberry 9900
  • Blackberry 9360
  • Blackberry 9810

Question: is this software loaded by the carrier or the phone manufacture? In other words, if someone buys a phone online that is unlocked, is the software on that phone? Or does the phone have to come from the phone company? :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones