• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Carrier Talk - When and Where

That's GSM actually. I don't believe Europe still uses CDMA... someone from across the pond can correct me if I'm wrong

From what I understand(i may be wrong), WCDMA is really a GSM technology but people confuse it because of CDMA in the name. I believe those frequencies mentioned are WCDMA in europe and not CDMA. Confused yet?

Upvote 0
From what I understand(i may be wrong), WCDMA is really a GSM technology but people confuse it because of CDMA in the name. I believe those frequencies mentioned are WCDMA in europe and not CDMA. Confused yet?

Yeah, I don't know why HTC listed the specs that way. It should have said UMTS/HSPA. WCDMA is the underlying access method for UMTS. UMTS encompasses the family of 3G standards for GSM operators.

If the specs were truly indicating a Verizon compatible handset, you'd need to see some form of EVDO called out for a data-centric smartphone like this. No EVDO, no Verizon.

Upvote 0
This article from ChinaTimes says the Passion will come to T-mobile USA in January.
..LINK..
Hopefully Verizon will get it in January also.

Looks like the TMobile Passion may be a plain Jane Android like the Moto Droid and not have HTC Sense. At least that's the way I'm reading this sentence from the article:

In addition, Passion is currently well received by the market seems to welcome the It (Passion?) also shows the consumer "Google Experience" has replaced "HTC Experience" trend.

Upvote 0
Okay, so I have a Storm1. I just called Verizon confirming the old promotion listed below, and she said it applied to my phone line.
Early upgrade for storm users? - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
She said though, that the promotion ends January 17, 2010. When I asked her about the Passion, she said she is not seeing anything about it in her system, just as all the other reps have said.

PURELY SPECULATION: The Passion could be released right before/after this date?

Upvote 0
I foresee passion releasing near that date, however I doubt it'll have anything to do with any blackberry update.

Its not a Blackberry update, its an upgrade to either a Droid Or Storm2 giving to Storm1 owners beacause of all the problems people had with their Storm1's. The Storm2 is the Storm1 with new hardware (cause the old sucked) and more ram. This was a bone thrown to us an upgrade to these 2 phones. The end date of it is Jan whatever, what he's wondering if the Passion will release and they will continue this offer to us Storm1 owners.

See I have a credit on another line I'm gonna use for the Passion so I'm all set, but I know there are a lot of Storm1 owners unhappy and wanting to upgrade to the Passion soo...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones