• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Case & Wireless charger that work together recommendation?

twikoff

Lurker
Mar 2, 2016
My S7 is on order from Verizon, and I figured I might as well go ahead and pick up some accessories.
I was looking at multiple wireless chargers on amazon, but it seems the concensus is that most cases have to be removed in order to use wireless charging..
anyone have experience with any phones that used wireless charging, and can make recommendations on a case for the S7 that may be both protective and still allow for charging?

Also, when it comes to wireless charging... what output should you be looking for, in order to get quality fast charging? 10w, 12w, 15w?
most of the ones listed, seem to be 5.. and I would prefer to get a fast charge device up front rather than buying something Ill get frustrated with and have to replace in a month..

so... Any suggestions on a good protective case and fast wireless charger.. that will actually work together, without having to remove the case?

My S7 is on order from Verizon, and I figured I might as well go ahead and pick up some accessories.
I was looking at multiple wireless chargers on amazon, but it seems the concensus is that most cases have to be removed in order to use wireless charging..
anyone have experience with any phones that used wireless charging, and can make recommendations on a case for the S7 that may be both protective and still allow for charging?

Also, when it comes to wireless charging... what output should you be looking for, in order to get quality fast charging? 10w, 12w, 15w?
most of the ones listed, seem to be 5.. and I would prefer to get a fast charge device up front rather than buying something Ill get frustrated with and have to replace in a month..

so... Any suggestions on a good protective case and fast wireless charger.. that will actually work together, without having to remove the case?

If you're not set on a brand specific supplier of your accessories,why not go all-in on Samsung for cases & charging accessories?
It'd stand to reason any of the cases available from Samsung will work on their charging accessories.

Reactions: Snakeyeskm
Upvote 0
I too am wondering what cases will work with the wireless charger. I would think the thinner ones would better.
as far as the voltage or wattage output, I would go to the Samsung S7 website or the manual & see what charger they are selling/recommend. I would think that if the wattage is too high it could overheat the battery or cause premature life shortage of the battery/phone. This is compatible with the S7, S6, edges & other phones.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-fast-charge-wireless-charging-stand/

Upvote 0
This is what I found by contacting Samsung via Chat. a case would have to be removed from the device before wireless charging. Also you need a charger rated at 2 amps/5V. It took me a little to get the agent to understand I was referring to a case as in protective case I.E. otterbox type and not the non-removable back cover of the phone. Also I looking in the user manual, nothing there on wireless charging. I did use the Samsung question section. It says that in most case (instances) that the back of the phone does not have to be removed to wireless charge it. Which is kind of pointless being that the rear panel on the S7 & S7 Edge are not removable. Here is a link to that. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00047798/997470425/SM-G930VZDAVZW
Can not find a user manual on Samsung's website for using the charger itself. I guess anyone that has an S6 could answer this question if the case would have to be removed before charging. It would probably be the same.

Upvote 0
Here's what I found.

My old Note 3 has an Otterbox Commuter case. Two piece design. One rubber layer and one hard plastic layer.

I took the case off the phone and set my S7 Edge in the 2 layer case. It was small enough to fit. Placed it on the Samsung Wireless Pad (the cheap one). Nothing happened.

Ok. So I took off the plastic layer and left the phone in the rubber layer only. Placed it on the pad. Nothing happened.

Things were not looking good. I then removed the rubber layer and placed it in the plastic layer. Boom it started to charge.

So as long as the case doesn't have any rubber in it, it should work.

Do any of the otterbox cases not have a rubber layer? Maybe the Symmetry series?

Upvote 0
I too am curious as to this question of a case with the fast charging on the S7. I have a case I can remove easily enough but would prefer to leave it on for convenience. I ordered the new wireless fast charger for my S7 from Samsung recently. Also, I was wondering is it safe to use a case with the wireless charger in terms of will it melt, etc.?

Upvote 0
This is what I found by contacting Samsung via Chat. a case would have to be removed from the device before wireless charging. Also you need a charger rated at 2 amps/5V. It took me a little to get the agent to understand I was referring to a case as in protective case I.E. otterbox type and not the non-removable back cover of the phone. Also I looking in the user manual, nothing there on wireless charging. I did use the Samsung question section. It says that in most case (instances) that the back of the phone does not have to be removed to wireless charge it. Which is kind of pointless being that the rear panel on the S7 & S7 Edge are not removable. Here is a link to that. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00047798/997470425/SM-G930VZDAVZW
Can not find a user manual on Samsung's website for using the charger itself. I guess anyone that has an S6 could answer this question if the case would have to be removed before charging. It would probably be the same.
Well, I looked at the link at is says you don't need to remove the case...

Upvote 0

Well, if you want "Fast Charging" with the S7 the minimum output on the charging pad you use is 10watt. Also, you need to be using a Qualcomm Certified 18W Wall Charger if you want Fast Charging. Again, you need both of these!

For the record, the charging pads and charge adapters that are 5w will charge your S7 but will not fast charge your S7.
Another point is the newest spec adapters are Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 specification (go to Qualcomm Website)
and these adapters are 15w. These Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 adapters will give you fast charging that is a tad faster but not much faster. Also, I not believe the S7 supports Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0.

SO, my recommendations:
For S7 Fast Charging is to buy a Qualcomm Certified 18W Wall Charger plus a 20AWG 3.3ft micro USB cable, if you just want a spare, fast charge, wall charger.

A person with an S7 that wants a charging pad that offers fast charging for the S7, they should go with a 10 watt charging pad that plugs into a Qualcomm Certified 18W Wall Charger.

Here is a link to the pad and adapter that I use. It has the specs I mention above. Price is decent. Be sure you select and order the one that has "Fast Pad + Adapter" as remember, you need both.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015351V9U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

For a reasonably priced, decent wall adapter and cable you might consider this one. My buddy has it and it works great
with his S7.
http://www.amazon.com/Aukey-PA-U28-Qualcomm-Certified-Smartphones/dp/B00QEX83LA/ref=pd_bxgy_107_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1TXVQ3NX7RE2G3BBQD7F'

My buddy also purchased this Aukey Car Charger which works well with the S7 ... is fast charging.
http://www.amazon.com/Qualcomm-Tech...xgy_107_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0FQAVF3VGTGCBJDQQXTJ

Now, in regard to an S7 case that will be work with a charging pad. I use the Otterbox S7 Commuter (Terrific case)
and there is no problem using a charging pad with the case on the S7. I have also tried 3 different Spigen cases for the S7 and they work fine with a pad also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I forgot to mention in my last post.. Many of the charging pad and charge adapter manufacturer's say take off case when charging may or may not be necessary. My experience with the S7 in particular with different cases, is that most cases work just fine in regard to pad charging. I tried 3 different Spigen Cases and the Otterbox Commuter. They all worked with the S7 / charge pad. Do know that there are some very thick, armored cases out there for the S7. These armored cases may be a problem with the S7 / pad. Another point is that when a case is on a smartphone and you use a charging pad, that the smartphone will become warm when charging. The S7 will shut down ... stop charging if indeed it gets too warm. With the case I mentioned the S7 does not get overly warm when fast charging. Final points... remember to turn on fast charging in your S7 settings if you want fast charging. Also, if you believe it is going to be over say 2- 3 years before you are able to buy a new smartphone you may just not want to use fast charging with your S7 or restrict your use of fast charging. Fat charging takes it toll on a battery and unfortunately, the S7 battery is not removable/non replaceable. You might just be doing your S7 a favor by sticking with your old 5watt charging pad. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Thanks for that post BillArf! Just to clarify, if I were to buy the car adapter, I would get the QC 3.0 34.5W one right?

Jason.. Indeed, there are the new chargers with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0 and these will give you a tad bit faster charging, then the charger with Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0. Reality is the charger with Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 gives you the fast charging you seek. The chargers with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0, today, are a bit pricey as they are the newest spec.. To me not worth the extra $ for the minimal amount of charge speed increase.

Also, remember your old car adapter (5w) will charge your S7 but not with fast charging. For the car I just have stuck with my 5w adapter and micro cable.

Upvote 0
Wow my 1st post in android forum. I am a former Iphone user and switched to android with the Galaxy s7. I preorded my S7 and when i did i ordered the Samsung fast wireless charging pad from amazon. It was like 47 bucks. I ordered a Case-mate Barely their clear case for my S7 and it charges fine with the case on. I also have a Verizon wireless charging stand which slow charges only and that also works through the case.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Wow my 1st post in android forum. I am a former Iphone user and switched to android with the Galaxy s7. I preorded my S7 and when i did i ordered the Samsung fast wireless charging pad from amazon. It was like 47 bucks. I ordered a Case-mate Barely their clear case for my S7 and it charges fine with the case on. I also have a Verizon wireless charging stand which slow charges only and that also works through the case.
WELCOME TO ANDROID FORUMS scotiez! :thumbsupdroid:
THX for the encouraging/informative post,I'm sure this will alleviate a lot of peoples concerns regarding cases & wireless charging.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones