• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Need Help Desperately! Root Issue.

my best guess is that maybe the flash drive is the factor. looks like it took 3 tries for a ubuntu to find the files to chmod adb,fastboot,and control bear,so maybe it has trouble accessing the files on the bootable flash drive. it could also possibly be the 64 bit part,but i dont know enuff about ubuntu to really speculate the likely hood of either. im on windows 7,32 bit,and used a live cd and it worked fine for me.

id suggest either researching what happens when you boot from a flash drive vs the cd,or just whip up a 32 bit cd and give it a shot. i hate to keep beating you up over this,but you are still not following the teams directions exactly.

for your windows connectivity issues,my guess there is either your on windows 8 wich has known issues,especially combined with 64 bit,and/or something running on the PC that is intermediately interfering. that may sound like a cop out,but ive helped tons of folks who are doing things correctly and becoming extremely fustrated with unexplained repeated failures. ive been over and over the basics,sifted thru screen shots and comand window pastes, and grasped at all kinds of straws trying to help them figure out exactly why. most of the time it never really gets figured out,and success is simply found on the first try when starting over with an older,more plain jane,"virgin" machine :eek:

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
my best guess is that maybe the flash drive is the factor. looks like it took 3 tries for a ubuntu to find the files to chmod adb,fastboot,and control bear. it could also possibly be the 64 bit part,but i dont know enuff about ubuntu to really speculate the likely hood of either. im on windows 7,32 bit,and used a live cd and it worked fine for me.

id suggest either researching what happens when you boot from a flash drive vs the cd,or just whip up a 32 bit cd and give it a shot. i hate to keep beating you up over this,but you are still not following the teams directions exactly.

for your windows connectivity issues,my guess there is either your on windows 8 wich has known issues,especially combined with 64 bit,and/or something running on the PC that is intermediately interfering. that may sound like a cop out,but ive helped tons of folks who are doing things correctly and becoming extremely fustrated with unexplained repeated failures. ive been over and over the basics,sifted thru screen shots and comand window pastes, and grasped at all kinds of straws trying to help them figure out exactly why. most of the time it never really gets figured out,and success is simply found on the first try when starting over with an older,more plain jane,"virgin" machine :eek:

If you noticed, the first 2 times, I typed "abd" instead of "adb". (d'oh!)

I have a Win 7 64bit laptop. I don't have access to another machine, let alone an older machine. I think I'm just screwed because I've literally done everything possible. In windows, ControlBear works fine until it reboots my device and soft bricks my phone. It finds all 4 "beers" and reboots my phone off. I then have to restore it via fastboot.

In Ubuntu/Linux, it wont even see my darn phone. This is hugely frustrating. I've never had this much trouble with S-OFF...

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
I made a live cd with 32bit and booted Ubuntu off the dvd drive. It sorta made a difference but the end result is the same.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd ~/jpbear
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/jpbear$ chmod 755 ControlBear adb fastboot
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/jpbear$ sudo ./ControlBear
========= ControlBear 0.11 beta for JuopunutBear S-OFF ==========
(c) Copyright 2012 Unlimited.IO
If you have acquired this software from anywhere
other than our website this version may be out of
date and unsupported. Please see our website for
instructions on how to use this tool and for support.
This program may not be redistributed or included in other
works without the express permission of Team Unlimited.

Unlimited.IO | team@unlimited.io

Starting up......
Testing ADB connection
Test 1: Rebooting into bootloader
Waiting fastboot (8/60)
Waiting.....
Test 2: Booting device into JuopunutBear boot-mode
Waiting ADB.... (9/60)
Device detected.....................
Connection test ok!
Searching device.....
Found device.....
Backing up......
Transferring backups....
Backup ok!!
Using eMMC dev /dev/block/mmcblk0
Using MMC dev /dev/block/mmcblk1
Boot partition is /dev/block/mmcblk0p21
Recovery partition is /dev/block/mmcblk0p22
Is information correct?
You have 5 seconds time to stop process by pressing CTRL+C
Finding some beer.....
Found first....
Found second....
Found third....
Hmmmm... where is that last one....... Wait a sec....
Found fourth....
Rebooting.......
=== Waiting for device....
(45/45)
Hmmm, still no device
Resetting connection....1........2...

The device just boots off. What am I doing wrong? I followed the directions to a T and my phone just cuts off!

Upvote 0
I did have fastboot unchecked and USB debugged check. I was reading the Unlimited.IO site and it said stock root won't work. It MUST BE Stock RUU. How do I return to stock RUU?

Did you change roms or anything though? I just think you should boot up and verify those settings just to be sure.

If that's not the problem flash this file in recovery: http://db.tt/JUdxrcC0

And then download and follow the instructions from post 4 where I posted a link to the ruu.

Upvote 0
I did have fastboot unchecked and USB debugged check. I was reading the Unlimited.IO site and it said stock root won't work. It MUST BE Stock RUU. How do I return to stock RUU?

the way it is written on the site,it is a bit confusing(this isnt the first time ive seen confusion). the team wants you to be 100% stock,with exception of bootloader unlocked.

i believe you have run an ruu,so if thats the case,and youre still unlocked,you fit the qualifications. :)

they simply do not want you to be on someones custom rom,as they then have no way of knowing what mods were made and how they may affect things.

I made a live cd with 32bit and booted Ubuntu off the dvd drive. It sorta made a difference but the end result is the same.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ cd ~/jpbear
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/jpbear$ chmod 755 ControlBear adb fastboot
ubuntu@ubuntu:~/jpbear$ sudo ./ControlBear
========= ControlBear 0.11 beta for JuopunutBear S-OFF ==========
(c) Copyright 2012 Unlimited.IO
If you have acquired this software from anywhere
other than our website this version may be out of
date and unsupported. Please see our website for
instructions on how to use this tool and for support.
This program may not be redistributed or included in other
works without the express permission of Team Unlimited.

Unlimited.IO | team@unlimited.io

Starting up......
Testing ADB connection
Test 1: Rebooting into bootloader
Waiting fastboot (8/60)
Waiting.....
Test 2: Booting device into JuopunutBear boot-mode
Waiting ADB.... (9/60)
Device detected.....................
Connection test ok!
Searching device.....
Found device.....
Backing up......
Transferring backups....
Backup ok!!
Using eMMC dev /dev/block/mmcblk0
Using MMC dev /dev/block/mmcblk1
Boot partition is /dev/block/mmcblk0p21
Recovery partition is /dev/block/mmcblk0p22
Is information correct?
You have 5 seconds time to stop process by pressing CTRL+C
Finding some beer.....
Found first....
Found second....
Found third....
Hmmmm... where is that last one....... Wait a sec....
Found fourth....
Rebooting.......
=== Waiting for device....
(45/45)
Hmmm, still no device
Resetting connection....1........2...

The device just boots off. What am I doing wrong? I followed the directions to a T and my phone just cuts off!

youre not using a hub or usb 3.0 are you?

have you tried different cables and ports on the PC? ive learned the hard way that not all usb cables are created equal :eek:

Upvote 0
the way it is written on the site,it is a bit confusing(this isnt the first time ive seen confusion). the team wants you to be 100% stock,with exception of bootloader unlocked.

i believe you have run an ruu,so if thats the case,and youre still unlocked,you fit the qualifications. :)

they simply do not want you to be on someones custom rom,as they then have no way of knowing what mods were made and how they may affect things.

youre not using a hub or usb 3.0 are you?

have you tried different cables and ports on the PC? ive learned the hard way that not all usb cables are created equal :eek:

No USB 3.0 or hubs, stock RUU as of now, and original cable with my phone. I'm gonna attempt one more time later on.

Upvote 0
I FINALLY GOT THAT SON OF A GUN! S-OFF FINALLY!

It was rom. It was stock but it was rooted...

Also, another thing, it MUST be a DVD with LiveCD with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or higher. NO USB!

I used a twist tie from some bread I just so happen to finish and with 2 tries of the wire trick, it worked!

Thank you so much for your help and patience with this dummy. :p

Upvote 0
That rom has super user included. When you open an app that requires super user access a pop-up will show up to grant it access.

Settings>system>halo settings. Uncheck enable halo

Also you will probably notice that the lower portion of the screen isn't responsive. That's because of pie controls.
Settings>system>pie settings>trigger area. Set to none.

Reactions: scotty85 and NESSEN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones