• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Need Help Desperately! Root Issue.

The folder that contains adb.exe and fastboot.exe on your computer. According to the video you followed it looks like the S-off Tools Folder.

Didn't you just root it a couple of days ago!?! Did you flash a custom recovery when you rooted? It's the same thing. Basically I'm asking you to flash your recovery again...

Upvote 0
Many people have done s-off on 64 bit, including myself. I don't see why a live usb won't work. They have really narrowed down what is "supported".

I would follow as much of the the instructions exactly as written as much as you can. But many people have varied in different ways whether it be 64 bit, or just being on a stock based rom because they couldn't run the ruu.
from what ive read,the 64 bit drivers are not reliable. lots of folks have had success,but that doesnt eliminate the possibility of error.

Well, crap. I just don't understand Linux/Ubuntu so a friend of mines sent me a copy of ControlBear for Windows. Needless to say, somehow, I managed to brick my phone. I can access the bootloaded but whenever I try to recover, it just boots back to bootloader. If I boot normally, I get a lit black screen.

and this is why you want to follow the teams directions ;) they would then support you in their IRC channel,and youd likely be in better off shape.

you most likely need a boot image,not a recovery. the program replaces your boot image with one of its own.

regardless of wich OS you ran the tool from,check out the troubleshooting page: Unlimited.IO

failing that,you can fastboot flash a stock boot image.

once youre up and running,here are a few tips to run it from a live cd. you honestly dont need a thurough understanding of linux,if i can do it,anyone cane ;)
http://androidforums.com/rezound-al...me-pointers-running-juopunut-bear-ubuntu.html

Reactions: NESSEN and Brian706
Upvote 0
OK, I keep hitting this error now.

starting up
connecting to device..
searching device....
connect device and install drivers
Press ENTER to exit....

I know I have adb and fastboot working. What am I doing wrong? I'm using the latest version of ControlBear for windows...

It will keep counting up from 0 to 45 then ask me to check device manager for adb and fastboot.

I'm thinking I just can't S-Off my phone and stuck with a stock rooted rom.

Upvote 0
What was it that you couldn't figure out on the live ubuntu cd? You'd probably have better luck using linux...

I'm just going to give up. It was nice to dream about fully rooting and S-OFFing my phone but I've been trying for a week and every time I think I get close, doing all what I see, I just can't seem to get it.

If I can't do it from cmd in Windows AND Ubuntu, what makes it any better than doing it in Linux, which unless I can boot Linux from a usb, I have no access.

I don't know what to do but I still thank you both for your help.

Upvote 0
I'm just going to give up. It was nice to dream about fully rooting and S-OFFing my phone but I've been trying for a week and every time I think I get close, doing all what I see, I just can't seem to get it.

If I can't do it from cmd in Windows AND Ubuntu, what makes it any better than doing it in Linux, which unless I can boot Linux from a usb, I have no access.

I don't know what to do but I still thank you both for your help.
im not sure why youre stuck on using a usb. i looked at the usb dirctions when i made my live cd and to me it was much simpler to make the cd.

once you make the live cd,its easy.
http://androidforums.com/rezound-al...me-pointers-running-juopunut-bear-ubuntu.html

if i can do it,you can. just because im a guide here and mess with phones alot it doesnt mean i knew any more about linux that what you do.

after having done several phones with windows,and then one witn ubuntu,the ubuntu tool seemed to work much better. it was faster and the wire trick seemed easier(tho that may have been my imagination,or the fast that ive done it a dozen times now ;))

If I can get my phone recognized apparently, I can complete my S-Off journey. It can't seem to be recognized by ControlBear when it asks for adb and fastboot.

this is actually the reason that linux is better. it does not require problematic drivers,and is therefore much more stable. same for 32 vs 64 bit-much more stable. you should be able to create a 32 bit live ubuntu cd to work on your 64 bit machine.

even with windows,you may have better luck with an older machine. here are some basic tips for troubleshooting connectivity:
troubleshooting connectivity issues:
-try a reboot of the PC
-try different usb cables and ports
-dont use a usb hub
-dont use usb 3.0
-make sure nothing capable of comunicating with the phone is enabled and running. htc sync,pdanet,easy tether,and even itunes have all been known to cause issues.
-windows 8 has been known to have issues. try a windows 7 or older machine

failing the above,
-i use these drivers for fastboot and adb(donwload and run as admin): http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe (mirror)

failing that,try manually updating the drivers in the following manner:
-put the phone in fastboot mode(select fastboot from the hboot menu)
-open device manager on the PC
-plug in phone,watch for it to pop up in device manager.
-update drivers with device manager,pointing the wizard to the extracted
driver download folder from above

note that you can check the connectivity of the phone,and make sure drivers are working by in the following manner:
-open cmd window. change to directory containing adb/fastboot utilities

-adb with the phone in the booted OS,usb debug enabled,enter:
adb devices in a cmd window

-fastboot with phone in fastboot,enter:
fastboot devices in cmd window

in either case,a properly connected phone with working drivers installed should report back the phones serial number.

Reactions: NESSEN and Brian706
Upvote 0
OK, that's the thing. Even in windows, I get my ############## device when I adb it or whatever. It doesn't say adb in my device manager ; it says android USB devices with my HTC under it. I don't know if that makes a difference or not but control bear doesn't recognize it. In Linux or windows. I have win 7 64 bit with Ubuntu 12.04 as my bootable OS.

Upvote 0
According to unlimited, a usb doesn't work but they say to use a cd. I personally don't see any reason there would be a difference but I don't know Linux.

From what I understand, the live cd/usb boots into the PC memory. So it's not actually running from the usb. They usb just contains what's needed to boot Ubuntu temporarily into the pc's memory... To me I don't see how a cd or usb would be any different?!? Maybe a Linux pro can clarify?

Upvote 0
Brian,

Sorry I havent message back.. What actually fixed the root issue for me was, that I had to follow the steps to make my phone appear to be on version 1.0.0 instead of 1.95... Once I had the Main version reset to 1.0.0, then I was able to run the 1.89 RUU and it completed successfully with no errors. Before when I was on 1.95, I would get an error everytime I ran a RUU because it would say the version is Newer then what the RUU was. So once I did that it worked like a charm. Thanks!!

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
Brian,

Sorry I havent message back.. What actually fixed the root issue for me was, that I had to follow the steps to make my phone appear to be on version 1.0.0 instead of 1.95... Once I had the Main version reset to 1.0.0, then I was able to run the 1.89 RUU and it completed successfully with no errors. Before when I was on 1.95, I would get an error everytime I ran a RUU because it would say the version is Newer then what the RUU was. So once I did that it worked like a charm. Thanks!!

How did you do that?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones