• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Rom Update Utility (RUU) - All Downloads

Brian706

I like turtles!
Jul 25, 2012
Rom Update Utilities (RUU's) for (CDMA) Sprint Evo 3d & Virgin Mobile Evo V

Warning: For CDMA phones only!!!

Do not use on GSM phones!
Will work on Sprint and Virgin Mobile.

How to use a PG86IMG.zip file!
1. Place the file on the root of your sd card (not in any folders).

2. Rename the file to PG86IMG.zip

3. Reboot into bootloader.

4. When asked to update, say yes by hitting volume up.

5. When it's all finished, hit power button to reboot.

7. *Important! After booting up, immediately rename or delete the file.

*The presence of the file on your sd card will prevent you from entering recovery in an emergency situation. It's nothing to panic about, but if you get caught in a bootloop, you will have to manually remove the file using a pc and card reader or another phone.

.EXE:

Sprint -

Gingerbread:

Ice Cream Sandwich:

Virgin Mobile -

Ice Cream Sandwich:

.ZIP:

Sprint -

Gingerbread:

Ice Cream Sandwich:

Virgin Mobile -

Ice Cream Sandwich:

Last edited:
An RUU can work while s-on, as long as you aren't downgrading anything. Part of the security checks that happen while s-on will cause the RUU to fail if anything is being downgraded in the process.

I see you are on the Evo V, which only has one RUU available. What hboot are you on? If you are on hboot 1.58, you can't run the RUU while s-on. If you are still on 1.57, we can lower your mainversion and then run the RUU.

Which radio version are you on??

Basically, we need to know your current setup, where you're at now, and then we can see what options are available for you.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the speedy reply. This is what I see in boot loader:

Code:
Unlocked
Shooter XC SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.57.0000
eMMC-boot
Apr 20 2012, 17:39:22

I don't know what radio I'm using, but I do know that I've missed one if not two radio updates due to being s-on. Can you tell me where to find the radio information?

I am running the harmonia ics rom with root. I'd eventually like to upgrade to CyanogenMod 11.0 - VILLUMINATI but am most interested to see if the new radio files would improve my reception in some areas that I have trouble with now.

Thanks for the help

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
Thanks for the speedy reply. This is what I see in boot loader:

Code:
Unlocked
Shooter XC SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.57.0000
eMMC-boot
Apr 20 2012, 17:39:22
I don't know what radio I'm using, but I do know that I've missed one if not two radio updates due to being s-on. Can you tell me where to find the radio information?

I am running the harmonia ics rom with root.

Ok, so it sounds looks like you skipped both OTA updates which means you should be able to run the RUU.

The RUU will return you to a fully stock device, basically out of the box state.

After running the RUU, you can take both OTA updates which will get you updated to the latest radio and bootloader. Just keep in mind that if you do return to stock and take the OTA updates, you will not have an RUU available to use should you run into a situation where you need one.

There is no Evo V RUU containing hboot 1.58 and you cannot downgrade the bootloader while s-on.

To see what radio you are on, you should be able to connect the phone in fastboot usb mode to the PC and run this command: fastboot getvar all

Those results should display much information about your device including the baseband version.

If you are going to run the RUU, you will need to do two things:
1.) Flash this file via your custom recovery: https://copy.com/A8AEfaZ3E3940FM1
2.) Relock the bootloader: fastboot oem lock

After that, run the RUU.exe and follow the prompts on the screen. Once you are stock and booted back up, check for updates. You should need two to get to the latest.

Once you are upgraded, unlock the bootloader again: fastboot flash unlocktoken unlockcode.bin

Install custom recovery: fastboot flash recovery.zip

Then flash the superSU binaries or a custom rom to root again.

Also, I would recommend S-off, but that's something only you can decide. :)

Upvote 0
Not sure if this helps:

1.53_144
Prl 32031
Baseband 1.09.00.0706

Okay, it looks like you did take the first OTA update based on your radio version.

The second OTA will change your radio to 1.09.00.0108 and also upgrade your hboot version to 1.58.0000.

Running the RUU will return you to a state prior to both updates. So there will still be two updates after running the RUU.

Upvote 0
Hi Brain,

I wonder if you can get me some help. I followed someone's post which is used yours I think. then he didnt explain that I cant do with 1.58 then I get stuck on the htc boot loop.

so this is what I did:
1 get unlocked at htc dev
2 fastboot flashed 4ext recovery.img
3 booted into the 4ext recovery.
4 did the superuser.zip install
5 get the htc loop.
6 then I followed the thread try to run ruu.exe with error of mainversion too high
7 go back to the recovery and installed the set main version low
8 relocked the phone
9 ruu.exe gives the error 155
10 if unlock it then i can go into 4ext recovery but non of rom worked, all status 7 error

really dont know what should i do.

might be some useful information?:
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.58.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.09.00.0108
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.00.000.0
(bootloader) serialno: FAxxxxxxxxxx
(bootloader) imei: [removed]
(bootloader) product: shooter
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8260
(bootloader) modelid: PG8610000
(bootloader) cidnum: SPCS_002
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3800mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-3f645641
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

Upvote 0
Hi ctxprince. I removed some personal information from your post (imei).

Give me a little bit of time and I'll help you get sorted. I can't give you a proper reply at the moment.

Edit:
Thanks for posting the getvar all. That's helpful. It looks like you have the Virgin Mobile Evo V, correct?

The reason you can't run the RUU is because there is only one RUU available for the Evo V. It contains hboot 1.57. Because your device is s-on, you cannot downgrade your bootloader via the RUU; you've already updated to the latest which contains hboot 1.58.

The best we can do here is flash a rom to get you going again. I saw in another forum that you flash cyanogen. You cannot flash this rom on hboot 1.58. I'm not sure though why flashing the superuser zip stuck you in a bootloop. That shouldn't happen.

Anyway, what I would suggest is follow these steps for now:
1.) Unlock Bootloader
2.) use fastboot to boot your 4ext recovery | fastboot boot recovery.img
3.) enter the wipe menu, select: "wipe all partitions" (except sd card)
4.) flash this rom: http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...m-harmonia-3-15-28july12-ics-sense-3-6-a.html
5.) reboot and you should be okay.

If that gets you booted up, then we can talk about where you want to go from there.

Upvote 0
Hi ctxprince. I removed some personal information from your post (imei).

Give me a little bit of time and I'll help you get sorted. I can't give you a proper reply at the moment.

Edit:
Thanks for posting the getvar all. That's helpful. It looks like you have the Virgin Mobile Evo V, correct?

The reason you can't run the RUU is because there is only one RUU available for the Evo V. It contains hboot 1.57. Because your device is s-on, you cannot downgrade your bootloader via the RUU; you've already updated to the latest which contains hboot 1.58.

The best we can do here is flash a rom to get you going again. I saw in another forum that you flash cyanogen. You cannot flash this rom on hboot 1.58. I'm not sure though why flashing the superuser zip stuck you in a bootloop. That shouldn't happen.

Anyway, what I would suggest is follow these steps for now:
1.) Unlock Bootloader
2.) use fastboot to boot your 4ext recovery | fastboot boot recovery.img
3.) enter the wipe menu, select: "wipe all partitions" (except sd card)
4.) flash this rom: http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...m-harmonia-3-15-28july12-ics-sense-3-6-a.html
5.) reboot and you should be okay.

If that gets you booted up, then we can talk about where you want to go from there.

WOW, thanks for the super detailed and fast reply,
actually I was looking around and found the harmonia 3.17. I downloaded the latest rom (3.17) but not able to see it under 4ext recovery. However, that time I didnt follow the exact the procedure you gave me. So im gonna test and come right back. Thanks again!

update:

It worked!!!! you are a STAR!!!!!

Upvote 0
I have been reading S on vs S off.
I can only see the benefit of S off is much more choice of ROMS. But if this rom is very good. what is the real advantage to get the S off?
Hey congrats on getting up and running again!

Rom choice is one of the biggest benefits. S-off just makes everything easier in general. Gives you total control and more options.

Would allow you to use the ruu as well which gives you more options to recover.

Plus you can change your bootloader version and radio, etc.

Upvote 0
1.) Yes it does. It completely returns the device to an out of the box state. It cannot fix a hardware issue, but will pretty much fix any software issue you're facing.

2.) Unfortunately no. :( The ruu is for one specific model. It will not even work on different models of the HTC evo 3d. I don't personally have any experience with a kyocera device so I don't know the process of flashing back to stock on one.

Upvote 0
Ok, so could someone "make" a version for the phone I mentioned?
The Rom Update Utility (RUU) comes directly from the manufacturer, HTC and is digitally signed by them. I didn't make any of these (other than pulling zip versions from the exe), they were all either released by HTC or leaked and I'm simply hosting them. Every manufacturer has a different way of returning the phone to stock, and there wouldn't be any way to just modify one of these to work on a Kyocera.

I did; however, find a thread HERE that has factory images for Virgin Mobile Kyocera Rise and it looks like there are some pretty detailed instructions. You'll just want to make sure you download the correct version for your device.

Reactions: zixxorb
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones