• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Moto E(4) Plus "owens" - All Things Root Guide

Do NOT. I REPEAT, DO NOT TAKE THE 44.-12 UPDATE!! It's a lock to prevent custom ROM functionality!! It prevents TWRP from sticking and locks to modem to STOCK capability ONLY!! You will NOT gat ANY data/call/sms use from it with custom ROMs. 44-9 (June) seems be the last usable update that allows custom ROM function. Other than that.. no real changes or improvement, data works fine on STOCK ONLY.

Upvote 0
Do NOT. I REPEAT, DO NOT TAKE THE 44.-12 UPDATE!! It's a lock to prevent custom ROM functionality!! It prevents TWRP from sticking and locks to modem to STOCK capability ONLY!! You will NOT gat ANY data/call/sms use from it with custom ROMs. 44-9 (June) seems be the last usable update that allows custom ROM function. Other than that.. no real changes or improvement, data works fine on STOCK ONLY.
So know they are locking any root possibility with the e4 plus? Man what a pain in bottom

Upvote 0
Anyone know what the latest radio/baseband is for the Boost mobile variant? I'm on M8920_02.02.06.79.01R, and my reception is just terrible! I've been on a custom ROM for a while so I'm not sure if there has been anymore updates. TIA.
You don't want to update to the latest baseband. It'll break all cell functionality in custom ROMs (and then you won't be able to go back down)

Upvote 0
You don't want to update to the latest baseband. It'll break all cell functionality in custom ROMs (and then you won't be able to go back down)

Damn, there goes my dreams lol. Might have to go back to stock if that's the case. Phone's kinda useless without reception! That is quite odd that it'd break it though. Can't say I've heard of that before. Anyway, thanks for the heads up!

Upvote 0
IMG_20181029_142634.jpg
Hear Ye, Hear Ye.. I've managed to unbrick my NCRS26.58-44-12 version of Owens with the help of amarc78 and this guide: https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5/how-to/rooted-moto-g5-run-morning-post-image-t3776012/amp/

Upvote 0
@bcrichster Would you know which ROM has the most updated security patch? I have been running a somewhat older version of Lineage for quite a while, I was thinking about updating to whichever has the latest security.
Cheers and Happy Holidays to all.

Los_14.1 usually has most updated security patches..

Reactions: koop1955
Upvote 0
No worries from me. Take your time.
And Happy Holidays again!

Just an update: had some service outages yesterday and just finally got back online to do stuff.. I messed something up and rebuilding now, all should be well when finished (this time) tho

Edit: build posted in Los-14.1 thread OP

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just an update: had some service outages yesterday and just finally got back online to do stuff.. I messed something up and rebuilding now, all should be well when finished (this time) tho

Edit: build posted in Los-14.1 thread OP
just a heads up I reinstalled this build again and is locking up during the set up when you reach add finger print this time it just froze and had to restart the device then I was able to complete it like before, I'm I the only one ?

Upvote 0
just a heads up I reinstalled this build again and is locking up during the set up when you reach add finger print this time it just froze and had to restart the device then I was able to complete it like before, I'm I the only one ?

Plz bring ROM specific questions to the appropriate thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones