• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] [Tutorial] How to root HTC Rider//X515E//HTC EVO 4G+//Korean EVO 3D

omnirok

Lurker
Oct 14, 2011
First off I would like to say that this took hours and hours compiling different information on the internet to figure this out. I do not take credit for any of the exploits or anything else in this. I am simply Writing the tutorial on how to use everything correctly to achieve root on a HTC Rider (HTC EVO 4G+)

Step1) go to Welcome to HTCdev and follow the guide to unlock your bootloader. Very simple instructions. You will need the following prior to unlocking your boot loader:

1.The Google Android SDK - Android SDK | Android Developers

2. Java Runtime Environment - java.com: Java + You

3. HTC Sync - HTC Help Center

Step2) Download HTC EVO 4g+ adb and recover image from - HTC EVO 4g+ adb and recovery.rar

Unzip HTC EVO 4g+ adb and recover to the place of your liking I chose C:\

Enable USB debugging on your HTC EVO 4G+

Open a command prompt start>run>CMD

Restart the phone into HBOOT and select FASTBOOT

Plug phone in via usb.

Input the following command CD C:\adb
then type the following command "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

Reboot phone.

Step 3) Turn on phone and copy [COLOR=#ff00]su-2.3.6.3-efgh-fixed-unsigned.zip[/COLOR] from HTC EVO 4G adb and recovery to the root of your SD card in your phone.

Restart phone into Hboot then choose BOOTLOADER

From BOOTLOADER choose RECOVERY

Once in RECOVERY choose Install zip from SD CARD using the camera button on the side of the HTC EVO 4G+

You then choose [COLOR=#ff00]su-2.3.6.3-efgh-fixed-unsigned.zip
[/COLOR]
It will then move you to a menu that has a large amounts of -NO's and one that says -Yes then the file name choose yes again with the camera button.

Once installed simply use the back button untill you see the option reboot.

Once rebooted you should have SU installed along with full SU privileges.

Sorry for the disorganized manner of this tutorial as this is the first one I have ever written and I just did this my self for the first time.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I did this on a HTC EVO 4G+ with HBOOT 1.43.0000,Android 2.3.4,Software number 1.47.1010.4,Kernel version 2.6.35.13-gAD1A583.

[COLOR=#ff00]

[/COLOR]

Upvote 0
I see your title claim - but isn't this really unique to the Evo 4G?

I'll be happy to move this post if so.

I think we have some excellent instructions for rooting the various bootloader revisions for the Evo 3D in this thread - you may wish to review those if you're interested in rooting a 3D.

EDIT and PS = OK, I see the real issue -

http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all-things-root/429932-htc-rider-x515e-korean-evo-3d.html

Yes, sorry about the placement of this thread as I was not really sure where to put it. The EVO4G isnt quite the place but neither is the EVO3D forum. I posted here because the phone is more like the 3D than the 4G but not quite like either. I saw that the forums has a section for the HTC Rider but there are only 3 posts in such forum and none in the "All things root" sub-forum. And I believe it would have been super overlooked there. Feel free to move at your discretion. Alot of blogs call it the Korean 3D but its not and most places on the net have very little information about this phone at all. But everywhere I go I do find people asking about it. With the phone being a rarity and no place to find a way to root this had to be put out somewhere.

Upvote 0
I love u for telling me how to root it. And it worked perfectly. I wanted to apply a new rom but when i go into hboot and selext the bootloader option the screen goes white and the phone reboots again. Same with system updates. The phone just reboots. I tried factory resetting but the screen does the same thing. White HTC and then reboot again.
I tried unrooting and the same problem.... Any help?

Upvote 0
First off I would like to say that this took hours and hours compiling different information on the internet to figure this out. I do not take credit for any of the exploits or anything else in this. I am simply Writing the tutorial on how to use everything correctly to achieve root on a HTC Rider (HTC EVO 4G+)

Step1) go to Welcome to HTCdev and follow the guide to unlock your bootloader. Very simple instructions. You will need the following prior to unlocking your boot loader:

1.The Google Android SDK - Android SDK | Android Developers

2. Java Runtime Environment - java.com: Java + You

3. HTC Sync - HTC Help Center

Step2) Download HTC EVO 4g+ adb and recover image from - HTC EVO 4g+ adb and recovery.rar

Unzip HTC EVO 4g+ adb and recover to the place of your liking I chose C:\

Enable USB debugging on your HTC EVO 4G+

Open a command prompt start>run>CMD

Restart the phone into HBOOT and select FASTBOOT

Plug phone in via usb.

Input the following command CD C:\adb
then type the following command "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"

Reboot phone.

Step 3) Turn on phone and copy [COLOR=#ff00]su-2.3.6.3-efgh-fixed-unsigned.zip[/COLOR] from HTC EVO 4G adb and recovery to the root of your SD card in your phone.

Restart phone into Hboot then choose BOOTLOADER

From BOOTLOADER choose RECOVERY

Once in RECOVERY choose Install zip from SD CARD using the camera button on the side of the HTC EVO 4G+

You then choose [COLOR=#ff00]su-2.3.6.3-efgh-fixed-unsigned.zip
[/COLOR]
It will then move you to a menu that has a large amounts of -NO's and one that says -Yes then the file name choose yes again with the camera button.

Once installed simply use the back button untill you see the option reboot.

Once rebooted you should have SU installed along with full SU privileges.

Sorry for the disorganized manner of this tutorial as this is the first one I have ever written and I just did this my self for the first time.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I did this on a HTC EVO 4G+ with HBOOT 1.43.0000,Android 2.3.4,Software number 1.47.1010.4,Kernel version 2.6.35.13-gAD1A583.

[COLOR=#ff00]

[/COLOR]

Problem is i can not enter RECOVERY From BOOTLOADER
When i select recovery phone reboots

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones