• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] XDA Android Development

wake69

Android Expert
Jun 8, 2010
Georgia
FYI,
I have noticed over the last few weeks, XDA has been losing developers. You can see this here:
[Kernel][RCMIX EVO 3D] Close Thread - xda-developers

so while most development is going on here, keep an eye on kernel manager for kernels and I will be on the look out for other sources for roms etc.

so, just know that all roms, kernels for the evo 3d will not always be found over at XDA

This page has the Iron Fist announcement and some discussion on it -

About xda-developers.com - xda-developers

Its stated goals are much like our own Zero Tolerance Policy.

Like mod actions on any forum, new policies and mod discretion seems to take time to shake out.

Personally, I wish them all the best. Many threads there had become troll and flame fests, and some cleanup required, imo.

This sort of thing has happened there before. I hope it all works out, as I said already.

Reactions: AndroidSPCS
Upvote 0
This page has the Iron Fist announcement and some discussion on it -

About xda-developers.com - xda-developers

Its stated goals are much like our own Zero Tolerance Policy.

Like mod actions on any forum, new policies and mod discretion seems to take time to shake out.

Personally, I wish them all the best. Many threads there had become troll and flame fests, and some cleanup required, imo.

This sort of thing has happened there before. I hope it all works out, as I said already.

Some members are really reckless with their font. I mentioned that I rooted my Hero by following a video & it must be considered a cardinal sin over there because at least 8 of them got at me about it. That was the last time I posted there. Glad they're cleaning it up but the lose of developers isn't good.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Sorry for going off topic, but why are they (XDA mods) driving devs away?

I haven't visited XDA in a while.

The iron fist Zero Tolerance policy (while good in theory) needs a strong mod team that separates personal feelings from their duties on forums. XDA lacks a strong mod team in that respect. Some of them take everything personally and fuel escalations (many of them behind the scenes) which result in banning and censoring people for all the wrong reasons.

Being a mod takes a steady hand, a strong stomach, and an ability to separate personal feelings from professional duties.

Upvote 0
No argument.

Our guiding principle here is that if you're involved, hand it off to another mod for dispassionate judgment.

Even then, we're all just people, not gods. While we strive for what's right, I have had to go to my boss, Phases, and ask for reversal of judgments I've made, after close consultation with the member in question.

It would be great to get every judgment call right the first time - but in the end, none of us are perfect, ego comes last, the forums come first, and there has to be justice for each individual or there is justice for none.

But, I am just one guy, stating my view and giving professional courtesy to mods at another site concerning events I have had no first hand involvement in.

Upvote 0
Wow, didn't see that one coming.

+Infinity

Who says money can't buy you love. It sorta makes sense. Didn't Samsung give the CM7 team access to a couple of not yet released phones a couple of months back? I don't remember exactly which phone(s) but I seem to recall they had access to a Samsung phone before it went to FCC for approval. Does that ring a bell for anyone?:thinking:

Charles

Upvote 0
+Infinity

Who says money can't buy you love. It sorta makes sense. Didn't Samsung give the CM7 team access to a couple of not yet released phones a couple of months back? I don't remember exactly which phone(s) but I seem to recall they had access to a Samsung phone before it went to FCC for approval. Does that ring a bell for anyone?:thinking:

Charles

They certainly did something along those lines with the SG2: Samsung Delivers Galaxy S II to CyanogenMod Dev, Says Get to Work

Upvote 0
Getting back on the xda thing, while I am over there i have been reporting things left and right, regardless of who it is. I am sure their mods are getting tired of my daily pms lol.

But its a start. And one that I feel can work if everyone got involved. Instead of adding to slugfest, just report it and let their staff deal with it. But I see some tyhat refuse to report things and just end up flaming each other or posting in the wrong section.

TS

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones