• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cellspot router?

Jan 28, 2012
I got a linksys ea6300 gigabit router at staples for 95 dollars. Still have few days to return it.

Today I went to tmobile store. Never knew about the cellspot. First time hearing about it. Same as you guys talk about here.

This is the T-Mobile Personal CellSpot | Android Central

They said no more deposit and it was free. No pay to keep it. I took the free option. I will have to give it back at some point if we cancel tmobile. But in 1 year my linksys will be outdated and replaced with something else. I like the guest login feature for the wifi. But otherwise not worth keeping probably. Unless we give this back and then I have norouter. But by then there will something better.

I'm debating weather return the linksys and keep this. Or maybe I can piggy back off the first router and use this as a second router. But he said that might cause problems. Or use this as the main and disable the dhcp on the other one and make that like my seond router or extender. My reception in the basement is nothing. Sometimes zero. So I would really like to use tihs.

I don't even have to use the wifi just plug it in to my modem and it improves reception he said. But as a standalone. If I already have a router then this might not work.

Or can I keep the current router and still use this somehow.

The Linksys and the T-Mobile/Asus units do the same thing so I'd keep the better unit. To me that's easily the T-Mobile/Asus router. Plus it's tweaked to work best with T-Mobile WiFi calling. BTW do you have a T-Mobile phone with WiFi calling?

Using both is probably not worth it. One unit should cover the whole house. Take the Linksys back and save the $95.

Upvote 0
I have samsung galaxy light. Tmobile brand got from newegg. Problem is 1 router never covers the whole house. Especially my basement. We just switched to comcast and I have 25mb but in my basement I get only 17 on wifi. So I can shut of dhcp and keep this in my basement as an extender. Or I can swap out the antennas for higher ones. But still might not reach. Problem is if I add this and it doesnt reach my basement.

The only problem is I have to give it back some time. But by then my linksys will be outdated. So I will hook up now and try it. And if ti works I will keep it.

Upvote 0
I take it that you're presently using the Comcast router, which reaches the basement but the speed drops from 25Mbps to 17Mbps. Neither one is very fast, but the speed drop is really not too much.

I'd at least try the T-Mobile/Asus router and see how it does. The coverage might surprise you, especially on the 2.4GHz band. Leave the Linksys in the box so returning it is easy until you see how things work out and if using it as an extender is worth $95 to you.

Upvote 0
Your are absolutely right man. I'm going to staples and take it back in half an hour. I got it on the 5th of match. So its been less than the 14 days they have so I can take it back. Its already setup but they will take it back. I got the router yesterday from tmobile so I never knew about it but st staples will take back the linksys. Anyhow...

Here is what happened.got comcast on the second of march. Uverse router needed resetting every 2 days. So this is better. But the default infinity gateway sucks. But as we have phone service with them also we can't just get a plain modem. And they stopped selling telephony modems at bestbuy. So we have to use the gateway. But wifi sucks and is no good. So they let you put it in bridge mode and that disables the wifi. The 17mb was with the linksys. The xfinity gateway was horrible never any distance. And sometimes no connect at all. Or connect and then drop. So use your own router is the best.

Uverse never allowed a router. No way to disable wifi and it detects if you use a router on top of their gateway.

But the asus is awesome. It opened setpup page right away. Linksys had headaches and few phone calls to tech support. My browser won't let me open 192.168.1.1.

And asus opened up right away. Only thing is I like the guest feature on the linksys but i can live without it.

And reception is awesome. On the asus in my basement in 2.4ghz wifi I get 30mb. And we only pay for 25mb so awesome.

Only problem is my samsung nprv-515 a01us laptop only shows 2.4ghz and not 5ghz. My dads macvbook pro shows 5 and 2.4. Not sure why.

Oh and I have 2 of these already if I need extenders.

http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WA850RE

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Linksys and the T-Mobile/Asus units do the same thing so I'd keep the better unit. To me that's easily the T-Mobile/Asus router. Plus it's tweaked to work best with T-Mobile WiFi calling. BTW do you have a T-Mobile phone with WiFi calling?

Using both is probably not worth it. One unit should cover the whole house. Take the Linksys back and save the $95.

I personally think Linksys sucks. They break within 3o days of warranty. Went through 3 for my pc then went to netgear.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones