• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Certain things on Evo Screen not working

ToxicToastKatz

Android Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2009
Aurora, IL
Ok, so I've searched around a bit and haven't found anyone to have QUITE the same issue I'm seeing, so I'm hoping someone can provide some insight.

All of a sudden, beginning yesterday, certain functions with regard to the touchscreen don't work. I don't know that it's a screen issue, because some things do work.

For instance, I can touch anywhere on my home screens and open up any application or menu of my choosing. The capacitive buttons all appear to work as well. The keyboard, while typing, works but appears to have become oversensitive. I usually type very quickly without regard for accuracy and can usually get all but 1 or 2 words correctly. Since this issue has come up, it's almost as if I'm mashing my hand against the keyboard. I type 1 letter and 6 end up on the screen. I tried to recalibrate the keyboard, but when I go into that menu, the calibration keyboard (the one you type the message on) won't respond at all. The other oddity is that "secondary" on screen menus don't respond. The easiest way to describe this is if I hold down the power button, the menu of choices comes up. I can hit any one of those choices and it responds, but if I were to choose "Power Off" it then brings up the "secondary" menu that states that your phone will power off and you can hit "OK" or "Cancel"....neither one of those responds. It's just like that for other applications, where a secondary menu pops up and I have to back out of the application because the screen doesn't respond.

I'm really at wits end, because I know if I call Sprint, it's an effort in futility because after 20 minutes of fiddle-farting around, they are just going to tell me to hard reset, and I would obviously like to avoid that.

Any suggestions?

Quick question, are you rooted? If you are, have you tried wiping everything and flashing the ROM again?

And if you're not, try a battery pull. That might help.
If that won't work, maybe your fingers are too cold, or dry. I've had this problem.
If it's not that, your last option might be to do a factory data reset. (Home screen->MENU->Settings->SD & phone storage->Factory data reset.
And if it's still not that, the phone might be defective.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones