• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

changing Nexus' screen off animation to something IOS like

mikep

Lurker
Jun 3, 2014
Hey guys,

First post here: IOS is foul-looking compared to kit kat, it lacks a lot of things and apple devices are terribly overpriced - I got ride of my iPhone 4 and, boy, isn't it ridiculous that freaking thing is being sold for the same price a nexus 5 is? (At least in Portugal, where I live)

Anyway, here's the thing:

I am a discrete guy, so I don't want flashy things with me. I drive a silver car, I prefer neutral colours on my clothes, and so on. Hence, I hate Nexus 5 screen off animation. It looks cheap and too flashy (literally) for my taste.

You know, the old TV animation thing. The flash.

I'd rather have a fade off like in iOS. Is there a way to get that without a ROM? I prefer my android stock.

Thanks!

I think there are more things to worry about in this world. I'm a discrete kind of a guy, but you really think that animation is too flashy? Do you think anyone even notices?

Anyway, I don't believe there's anyway to do it with the Power button without root. You could however use this, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.katecca.screenofflock.

You'd need to create a widget or icon. As per the demo video you could stick it in your app drawer so it's there most of the time.

Upvote 0
That's too bad... I wish there was a way without rooting it. Using the widget kind of renders it moot.

On the "discrete guy" thing, that was obviously a joke. I just think it doesn't look as well as a discrete fade out.

I wouldn't root the phone because of it, but what ROMs have something similar to what I'm looking for?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones