• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Battery Life/Drain issues

BrianBlaze420

Lurker
Dec 23, 2014
Hello all!

I have a weird issue that has come and gone but is back again and instead of me just doing a factory reset (which fixes the issue) I would like to see what you guys think here.

I have a rooted Nexus 5 (Originally was on kitkat) while on kitkat after downloading some apps and games I noticed my battery was taking a lot longer to charge until it started actually draining while charged. I tried to end all the tasks using the settings and also 2 third party apps, battery doctor and AVG Pro and noticed the apps that were supposed to be closed were still running no matter what I did trying to close them. Still not working I was Freaking out so I factory reset and all was fixed. After installing my apps and stuff again everything was running okay (battery charging not perfect and still taking some time) but it was charging so I was happy.

On came lollipop! I updated and am loving it! Was running without any games and the battery was charging perfectly. I installed my apps again and games and it started charging weird again. Normally when I charge my phone over-night I wake up to 100%, this morning I woke up to 93%. Not thinking much of it went through my day and started charging it tonight and noticed the battery life was going down again. I was looking around and found out that it was probably an app in the background so I tried to close all my apps from settings again and same thing apps say they are closed I refresh and they are back running. I tried AVG pro's task manager and even battery doctors and again nothing is actually closing when I say close.

I also read that this issue could be the charger itself so I went from my original charger and brick that plugs into the wall to an extra one I have lying around and same thing. I then read that usb 3.0 gives off more voltage then 2.0 or the original brick that comes with the phone. I am now charging via usb 3.0 and it is actually charging again.

To make things clear, I am on a rooted Nexus 5, all my management apps have permission to mess with settings. Once charged my battery life is great (I easily get a full day of use out of my phone). My battery is not charging on my regular wall charger that came with the phone not with usb 2.0 ports... but usb 3.0 charges my phone no problem.

I am wondering what you guys recommend, what you guys use to kill tasks, why you think when I kill my tasks nothing is actually happening and if you guys have any advice I am all ears.

Also note a factory reset will fix this issue.

I appreciate you going through my long post.

You could try a 'wipe cache partition' which is often recommended following an OS update, and according to this guide, especially for Lollipop. There is also a school of thought that it is worthwhile doing even after a factory reset.

USB 3.0 provides a 900mA charging current compared to 500mA from USB 2.0.

The charger that came with the device should be the most effective eg. the charger that came with my HTC One is rated at 1000mA (1Amp) and charges the device whether it's active or idle.

As a matter of interest, what is the rating of your wall charger?

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You could try a 'wipe cache partition' which is often recommended following an OS update, and according to this guide, especially for Lollipop. There is also a school of thought that it is worthwhile doing even after a factory reset.

USB 3.0 provides a 900mA charging current compared to 500mA from USB 2.0.

The charger that came with the device should be the most effective eg. the charger that came with my HTC One is rated at 1000mA (1Amp) and charges the device whether it's active or idle.

As a matter of interest, what is the rating of your wall charger?

:)

I am not sure what this means but reading off the adapter:

INPIUT 100-240V~50/60hz 0.2A(o,2)
OUTPUT 5.0V = 1.2A (5,0V = 1,2A)

If anyone could tell me what that means maybe I can understand why my usb 3.0 charges better then this adapter (that came with my phone) I would love to know why.

Also this happened on kitkat as well so I don't think it has to do with lollipop although I only got my nexus 5 when kitkat came out so I never got to know if it happens on older versions of android as well.

There has got to be a better way to close apps that are running then through settings or something :(

Thanks for the replies

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones