• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Why is my battery dying so quickly all of a sudden?

I truly hope that someone can help me resolve this mystery.

I have a rooted Pixel 3XL running Android 10 and it works fine. For the past several years, I would charge the phone every other day. Since I do not use the phone that much, typically at the end of a day, the battery charge percentage would drop about 30% - so charging every other day worked just fine.

However, something recently happened that is making the charge percentage drop by more than 70% in a single day and my usage patterns have not changed. The only thing that comes to mind is that one of the apps I updated may be doing something different. The following apps were updated five days ago. Note that I have automatic updating disabled.
  • App Opps
  • c:geo
  • Dropbox
  • Duo Mobile
  • Firefox
  • GasBuddy
  • LinkedIn
  • Shizuku
  • Sticky Password
  • Textra
  • Voice Recorder
  • Yelp
When I want to Settings -> Battery -> Battery Usage, the only app that looks funny is Sticky Password. It indicates that it has used 10% of the battery (but does not show the amount of time the app was used) and I do not recall using it at all over the past few days.

The only thought that come to mind is to reinstall a slightly older version of Sticky Password. Not sure if this will do anything, but can you think of anything I could try?

You could try a different battery monitor, GSam or Accubattery say, and see whether they are better able to identify a culprit: different apps measure battery usage differently, so don't always give the same answers.

It's also possible that the battery is beginning to age. It's not unknown for battery aging to happen gradually then suddenly (my Pixel 2's battery had visibly lost some capacity, but then fell off a cliff just under a year ago).

Upvote 0
Being a rooted device really means that anything could be happening. We don't know what modifications may have been done to the system using that root access so it gets to be pretty tough to troubleshoot issues like these.

I would however suggest testing with the phone in Safe Mode for a bit to see if the increased battery drain continues. If not, it's definitely being caused by one (or more) of your installed applications. If the increased drain persists even while in Safe Mode then that would suggest a problem with the system itself or else the battery hardware.
Find problem apps by rebooting to safe mode - Pixel Phone Help

Upvote 0
Thanks both for your replies. Out of pure laziness, I uninstalled Sticky Password, then reinstalled the previous version. The battery issue seems to have gone away. So, I will reach out to Sticky Password and let them know the issue.
Does the issue return after updating the app to the latest version again?

It's not terribly uncommon for an app's data (and/or cache) to get corrupted in a way which causes it to go into a crash loop. Uninstalling the app typically removes the corrupted content, and then reinstalling the app again allows you to start cleanly.

If the problem returns after the app is updated, then yes, definitely let the developer know. Otherwise it may have just been an unfortunate glitch which is unlikely to return.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones