changing the gmail refresh/sync rateSupport

Last Updated:

1. darrenmthornton

darrenmthornton Active Member This Topic's Starter

I seem to remember changing the refresh rate for gmail, and now I'd like to change it back, but I can't figure out how to get to the screen that lets me select the refresh rate (5 min, 30 min, 1 hr, 2 hr, 4 hr...or something like that). Does anyone know?

Sorry for the newb question :)

Advertisement
  2. WARRIIOR

WARRIIOR Well-Known Member

I can't find anywhere to do that, I don't know if that is an option or not. With the other email app on the phone it is. You can obviously set it up so it doesn't autosync but I don't think that is what you are looking for.

3. ExcessiveIdling

ExcessiveIdling Well-Known Member

there isn't any setting for the gmail 'refresh rate' as the android os enables push technology with gmail. In other words, you get an email in your gmail....it is automatically pushed to your phone relatively at the same time you recieved it.

4. jdub71

jdub71 Well-Known Member

Mine usually shows up on the Eris before it shows up on my macbook in the gmail inbox.

5. zenman

zenman Well-Known Member

Open up Gmail app and click menu>labels. I don't really know what 'sync 4 days' means but you can change sync times there.

6. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

What you describe here is a control for the number of days of e-mail cached on the phone, on a label-by-label basis. Your Gmail account might have years worth of e-mails, but by default many of the labels (e.g. Inbox) have only 4 days of e-mail stored on the phone.

This sets the mail synchronization depth, not the frequency. Having a few days of mail stored on the phone is convenient, because then the phone does not need to go and grab mail from the server every time you use the mail app. And conversely, it doesn't need to store Gbytes of e-mail on the phone, either.

HTH

eu1

7. karib

karib Well-Known Member

Try going into Gmail>menu>more>settings>send&recieve>set download frequency.

Gives you the option to choose 15 min, 30 min, 1 hour, 2 hour, 4 hour or once a day.

Is this what you are looking for?

leyus likes this.
  8. zenman

zenman Well-Known Member

Thanks Erisuser1, I was wondering about that!

And Karib, I bet that what they were looking for. It helped me.

9. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

That's for the HTC mail app, not Gmail.

I think that "ExcessiveIdling" answered the OP's question correctly.

eu1

10. zenman

zenman Well-Known Member

Um, not so sure about that. Ten minutes ago using my pc, I sent a test email from my hotmail account to my gmail account. It still hasn't shown up on my Eris' gmail app, or the mail icon which I have set to gmail as the default. (I have it set to sync once an hour so that explains that)

For the record, ExcessiveIdling said: "there isn't any setting for the gmail 'refresh rate' as the android os enables push technology with gmail. In other words, you get an email in your gmail....it is automatically pushed to your phone relatively at the same time you recieved it."

11. zenman

zenman Well-Known Member

Ok, disregard my last post. I had previously turned off 'gmail auto-sync' to conserve battery. I wonder how much of a battery hog it really is? I imagine it only affects the battery when email are received. I only receive a few dozen a day. It would be easy enough to just refresh the app each time I want to check for new emails (which I originally planned to do) but it is nice having the notifications.

12. ffford

ffford New Member

Mine is the Samsung Ace and I don't have this adjustment. Or can someone tell me if I do and don't know how to set it up. If not can someone tell me what the default time is on this phone for download frequency.