• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help changing the gmail refresh/sync rate

Open up Gmail app and click menu>labels. I don't really know what 'sync 4 days' means but you can change sync times there.

What you describe here is a control for the number of days of e-mail cached on the phone, on a label-by-label basis. Your Gmail account might have years worth of e-mails, but by default many of the labels (e.g. Inbox) have only 4 days of e-mail stored on the phone.

This sets the mail synchronization depth, not the frequency. Having a few days of mail stored on the phone is convenient, because then the phone does not need to go and grab mail from the server every time you use the mail app. And conversely, it doesn't need to store Gbytes of e-mail on the phone, either.

HTH

eu1

Upvote 0
That's for the HTC mail app, not Gmail.

I think that "ExcessiveIdling" answered the OP's question correctly.

eu1

Um, not so sure about that. Ten minutes ago using my pc, I sent a test email from my hotmail account to my gmail account. It still hasn't shown up on my Eris' gmail app, or the mail icon which I have set to gmail as the default. (I have it set to sync once an hour so that explains that)

For the record, ExcessiveIdling said: "there isn't any setting for the gmail 'refresh rate' as the android os enables push technology with gmail. In other words, you get an email in your gmail....it is automatically pushed to your phone relatively at the same time you recieved it."

Upvote 0
Ok, disregard my last post. I had previously turned off 'gmail auto-sync' to conserve battery. I wonder how much of a battery hog it really is? I imagine it only affects the battery when email are received. I only receive a few dozen a day. It would be easy enough to just refresh the app each time I want to check for new emails (which I originally planned to do) but it is nice having the notifications.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones