• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail not pushing notifications / asleep?

firesole03

Oct 5, 2010
I've tried scouring the site for a related thread but most that seem relevant are from 2016. I have a S10 running Android 11. I have had this issue for a long time now, (I THINK) dating back to my previous S8 model. So it may not specifically be hardware related.
I run multiple Gmail based accounts on my phone. 2 personal and one work related (1 personal is rarely used). The problem first appeared with the work account. It is a gmail email w/ a @"XYZ".com name. Now I've started noticing the same issue w/ my personal account.
It appears as if my gmail app is going to sleep after a certain amount of time. Occassionaly I will open my app and within a few to 5-10 secs I will have no new messages. If I refresh the screen by pulling down or sometimes on it's own, the inbox will refresh and new messages will appear. These messages could be anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours old.
I have verified that Gmail is set to "never sleep" and I recently turned my performance mode up but have seen this happen since doing so. The most significant aspect is that it appears to only happen if I haven't checked it in a while. I have witnessed this happen on both mobile data and home wifi. I do have spotty reception at work but this has occurred outside of work as much if not more often.
This seems to have been a common issue at one time if not still current but I can't seem to determine if there's ever been a resolution determined.

Last, I'm considering a 3rd party email app if I have to but would really rather not go that route (really from a learning curve convienence only). If I did use something like Spark, would it not just pull from the Gmail app or would it connect to the servers directly and bypass gmail app?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones