• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charge Randomly Shutting Off

draedie

May 30, 2011
This last weekend my phone randomly started being glitchy. It shut down several times (not because of low battery) and had to be restarted. At one point it started screeching high pitched noises during a call, which I had to hang up and try dialing again. The person on the other end could hear it as well. After that it was fine for a while, but this morning it pulled the shutting off thing again. Just to top it off, it then wouldn't even turn back on. Several attempts later, I finally held down the power button for about 15 seconds and still got no results. Randomly, a little bit later it just turned itself back on as if the power button was delayed. I took it to the Verizon store on my way home from work and they looked at it briefly before telling me they were going to FedEx me another phone. I'm not really very thrilled about having to switch all of my stuff to another phone when I was just getting this one the way I wanted it. Hopefully, the new Charge will have better luck than this one. I asked if the new phone would have a full year of manufacturer's warranty or if it just continued in the year that has already started with this phone. Unfortunately, it seems that the warranty is from the date of your contract and not for the device itself which seems odd to me. I'm not sure if other carriers to do this as well, but the Verizon guy said it was a Verizon wide policy not just a Samsung thing. I just wanted to share this with you all. The Verizon guy said he hasn't seen this issue in other Charges, however he didn't really strike me as a tech guy. He took the battery out and popped it back in and then started putting my information in to get me a new phone. I guess they don't really try to fix the phones now that they're more computer than phone.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones