1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Charge X bettery through laptop using supplied USB cable

1. Birdman2004

Birdman2004 Well-Known Member

Just got my X @ 12:01 this morning at a midnight release in Roanoke, Va :D needless to say I'm stoked! :D

But, I got into the office this morning and tried plugging it into my laptop to charge via the USB cable and it didn't work?

Any suggestions?:confused:

Advertisement
  2. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

Have you killed any tasks? If you killed USB it won't know that it's plugged in.
  3. pdk

pdk Member

Mine was doing the same thing and wouldn't connect via USB. I was looking around and under settings, application setting there's a Development tab. In there make sure the USB Debugging is NOT checked. As soon as I unchecked that, it started charging and pc recognized "motoral" device....
  4. Emosa

Emosa New Member

Thank you sooooo much :D I've been sitting here on my computer for 1+ hour installing various motorola drives, and little did I know that I'd killed the USB! You sir, have saved me from crawling the web the rest of the night!

The Droid X is my first droid phone, and I'm liking it very much. I hated living in Apple's walled garden and this phone is so refreshing :p

Well, that was an awesome first post:cool:
  5. epsteing

epsteing New Member

If the Droid X has USB Debugging turned on the battery will not charge from USB power. Turning that Developer mode option off resumes charging.

Settings --> Applications --> Development --> USB debugging
  6. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

1.) Bump? :p
    2.) I don't think that's true. Your device should still charge while plugged into a USB outlet, even if USB Debugging is enabled. If it doesn't, then something is probably wrong with your phone or your cable. It's this way for even my LG Ally.
  7. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

My recommendation is to get rid of the task killer. They're just a waste of time and effort; Android works fine without them. I've never used one, not with my Droid and not with my X; they're just superfluous, and, as you can see, can just mess things up.
  8. dookie1

dookie1 Well-Known Member

this is not my experience. i've been rooted for a couple weeks and am still adjusting things, so USB debug is always on. the phone definitely charges (slowly) via USB.

one note re: USB charging...in order to be a good USB neighbor, the X limits itself to 500mA current draw when it sees a true USB connection (check settings / about / status / battery...charging (usb) vs charging (ac)). if you are running any radios, or even the screen, 500mA is barely a trickle. many 'USB' chargers game the system and will indicate AC, but a USB port connection to a PC definitely will not.