• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Charging the battery frequently spoil the battery or phone?

Hey, HTC desire users. I often charge my phone rather frequently like once it twice a day. Sometimes I charge even when the battery is only half full as I am going out. Will this spoil the battery or phone? (If I charge when the battery have not been all used up)
I heard from people that it might spoil the phone if I charge in this manner frequently.

I've heard somewhere that it is best to charge it to full at every chance you get. Apparently, the lower you drain it, the more damage it does... Can anyone confirm this?
I've been using and working with rechargeable cells and packs for 20 years and I can confirm that Lithium-Ion packs work best when topped up rather than run down. There is no reason to ever drain a LiIon pack as the electronic control for them do not need a dead pack to calibrate the sensors, and it's actually bad to run them down completely.

Just google for lithium-ion charging and you should find the best way to handle them.
:)

Upvote 0
Lithium ion batteries don't really care if you charge them when they aren't drained. It's recommended that once a month you let the battery run right down then fully charge it again to calibrate the charge sensors in the battery, but other than that do what you like. :)

This is actually not a good idea with Li-ion batteries. Top them up. Don't let the battery run down.

Try reading this or doing a simple search of your own.

Upvote 0
This is actually not a good idea with Li-ion batteries. Top them up. Don't let the battery run down.
That's correct, it's best to always top up the battery rather than run it down - that's the nature of LiIon batteries. No memory effect, no over or under-charge issues, and you can charge it up as often as you want, even a partial top up that doesn't completely charge the battery is ok.

Basically just use the phone and don't worry about the battery, unless it's getting low. If you use your phone heavily, consider getting a car charger (can be found in stores for about $10) or a portable USB charging device.
:D

Upvote 0
So is there no problem (ok, except to the environment!) with leaving my phone plugged in for long durations. I tend to go to work and plug it into the PC USB port and leave it there for the day, just disconnecting it whenever I need to use it?
By the sounds of this thread that seems to be acceptable for these Lithium batteries?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones