Charging the battery frequently spoil the battery or phone?

Last Updated:

1. bryant2408

bryant2408 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey, HTC desire users. I often charge my phone rather frequently like once it twice a day. Sometimes I charge even when the battery is only half full as I am going out. Will this spoil the battery or phone? (If I charge when the battery have not been all used up)
    I heard from people that it might spoil the phone if I charge in this manner frequently.

Advertisement
  2. Jezston

Jezston Well-Known Member

I believe current generation batteries, like that used in the Desire are happy to be charged whenever and however. Someone will be along to confirm this with SCIENCE! at some point I'm sure.

3. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Lithium ion batteries don't really care if you charge them when they aren't drained. It's recommended that once a month you let the battery run right down then fully charge it again to calibrate the charge sensors in the battery, but other than that do what you like. :)

4. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

I've heard somewhere that it is best to charge it to full at every chance you get. Apparently, the lower you drain it, the more damage it does... Can anyone confirm this?

5. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

I've been using and working with rechargeable cells and packs for 20 years and I can confirm that Lithium-Ion packs work best when topped up rather than run down. There is no reason to ever drain a LiIon pack as the electronic control for them do not need a dead pack to calibrate the sensors, and it's actually bad to run them down completely.

Just google for lithium-ion charging and you should find the best way to handle them.
    :)

CaptainBeaky, Jammy and IBAmyB like this.
  6. I-desire

I-desire Well-Known Member

I've heard that... the desire doesn't even use a battery and that you should stick it in a tin of spaghetti hoops when it goes off... :cool:

7. BarnumC

BarnumC Well-Known Member

8. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

BatteryUniversity is not bad for starters, but some of their info is old and needs to be updated for more current technology and electronics. But it's somewhere to start, and from there you can google and know what's fact and what's fiction or myth.
    :)

9. widehead

widehead Well-Known Member

This is actually not a good idea with Li-ion batteries. Top them up. Don't let the battery run down.

Try reading this or doing a simple search of your own.

10. bfksc

bfksc Well-Known Member

That's correct, it's best to always top up the battery rather than run it down - that's the nature of LiIon batteries. No memory effect, no over or under-charge issues, and you can charge it up as often as you want, even a partial top up that doesn't completely charge the battery is ok.

Basically just use the phone and don't worry about the battery, unless it's getting low. If you use your phone heavily, consider getting a car charger (can be found in stores for about $10) or a portable USB charging device.
    :D

11. BadSectorGR

BadSectorGR Active Member

Wow, myth busted!
    Thanks for sharing the knowledge...:)

12. prrhartley

prrhartley Member

So is there no problem (ok, except to the environment!) with leaving my phone plugged in for long durations. I tend to go to work and plug it into the PC USB port and leave it there for the day, just disconnecting it whenever I need to use it?
    By the sounds of this thread that seems to be acceptable for these Lithium batteries?

13. bryant2408

bryant2408 Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks guys, finally understand the working of the battery (;

14. riki1kenobi

riki1kenobi Well-Known Member

Hehe, but what about the software that controls the battery ;)

IF the software tells the phone to stop charging at 80% and claim it is fully charged at 100%........No matter how long it is plugged in you will never get FULL charge in the battery :confused: