• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Checking to see if my anger is misplaced

megaera

Dec 9, 2009
Houston, TX
So, about a week ago, here I am, merrily flashing ROMS, everything running smooth as lard. Suddenly I notice that I can't open the Market. No problem, I think, sometimes the Market is a little slow. Then I try to open a web page, which is when I realize that despite my 3G icon, I'm not able to download anything. Frantically, I restore the backups that, good little rooter that I am, I had religiously made. No joy. The icon sits there, occasionally actually flickering like there is activity going on, as if to mock my lack of connectivity. I do a factory reset, I data wipe. Nada.

Finally, it occurs to me to go somewhere other than my house to see if I get signal, and behold! No sooner do I get three streets away from my house than my 3G returns to me. So, I figure, what with the thunderstorms, perhaps a tower got taken out. I might add that my dsl router (Zoomadsl) does not like my Droid, although it's aces for my laptops, so getting a wifi connection at my house (where the problem is) is an operation to be used in emergencies only.

A few days later, I once again have 3G. Merry once more, I put Froyo 2.2 on my phone and update the baseband. Again, no problems. Today around 3AM (I work from home and yes, my hours are nocturnal) I notice that once again, I have no Internet despite the 3G. Signal strength appears the same as always (ranging from mid-70s to high-80s,) but doesn't seem to have any affect on my connection. I shut down all applications that access data and stop all sync and running processes that do so as well. I do a speed test, in an ever so brief moment of connectivity. At 4:06AM Download:459kbs Upload:624kbs (seems ok, not great, but ok.) At 4:07AM Download: 0 Upload: 717. At 4:51AM Download: 3 Upload:641. Now I don't have enough of a connection to DO a speed test. For the record I've 228ed. I've flashed back to stock. I've switched basebands. Still, at home, nada. Elsewhere in the greater Houston area, fine. In my Googling, I discovered another Droid owner who experienced something similar in an area near mine, but either it was resolved or he gave up.

I'm pretty sure this is a coverage issue, but I thought I'd run it by y'all and make sure there wasn't some obscure thing I'd done that would cause this. Heaven knows, I don't want to call Verizon and have them blame this on my rooted phone. On the flip side of that, I don't want to spend time looking at my hardware, when what I might need to be doing is letting Verizon know about the sudden gap in their 3G coverage in pretty much the middle of the fourth largest city in the U.S. The questions loom: why can't I download? Why can I upload? What keeps it from switching to 1x? Why does the icon remain there at all instead of disappearing?

Thoughts? Troubleshooting? Snarky comments and/or suggestions? Supportive outpouring of sympathetic rage?

Yes it is and you are nuts.
Just kidding.
I had a wierd 3g/1X fluctuation going on for a few months. This was happening on my Droid as well as my husband's at the same time. I gave VZW a call and told them that I had reset my phone completely (I crashed it hard and could not find the source of my phone craziness so I did a factory reset.) We left my husband's alone sort of as a control for our experiment.
They saw that I had used the 228 trick, so they didn't ask me to do that again and said that they would confer with the other techs and get back to me. We played phone tag a bit and left each other messages about the trouble ticket and a day after my first call, the signal has been pretty good. I've had 3g since that day (except for one tiny part of the subway but it does that to everyone.)
My husband and I are stock, but they might still be able to help you out. I thought that the root users had figured out some connectivity fix when things first started going a little wierd last April.

I hope your connection gets fixed soon.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I emailed Verizon support on the misguided notion that they might like to know about the random and massive hole in their 3G coverage. Apparently, since I included speedtests, the tech concluded (despite my mention of the Droid) that I was talking about a broadband card and proceeded to tell me about Vista interference.

Sometimes it's really hard to not want to smite the vast majority of this world.

Upvote 0
Eh, I was really just hoping to let them know something wonky was going on. The problem's intermittent. (Not the low download speed, that's pretty much permanent, but the nonexistent download with an upload, that's new and occasional.) As such, now that I've done my duly archived duty, I'll let it slide until I need leverage against Big Red.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones