• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Chomp or Handcent?

Which do people prefer

• Default Messaging App (HTC's Version)

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • Default Mesaging App (Android Version)

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Handcent

Votes: 103 64.8%
  • chompSMS

Votes: 29 18.2%
  • Other unmention app

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I also found with Handcent when trying to send picture texts a lot of them either weren't getting there or they were delayed, since removing handcent they now work instantly again. Weird ...
I had issues getting and receiving MMS, but put it down to signal (t-mobile UK).

Yet when I resend failed MMS, the recipient gets 3 or 4 copies.

Upvote 0
Looks like Chomp might have shot itself in the foot - the latest update contains ads and it's not going down very well with those who have updated - see the market feedback!
I updated before reading the comments and wouldn't have bothered if I had. The ad is small, but typically irritating. It's their business and the app is free though, so I can't really complain.

For anyone who can't get the Hero to go into landscape mode (only within the app itself) after updating ChompSMS, you need to reboot your phone. I was just about to uninstall when I found that out.

Upvote 0
I updated before reading the comments and wouldn't have bothered if I had. The ad is small, but typically irritating. It's their business and the app is free though, so I can't really complain.

For anyone who can't get the Hero to go into landscape mode (only within the app itself) after updating ChompSMS, you need to reboot your phone. I was just about to uninstall when I found that out.
Personally, I've resisted updating - I thinks ads are generally fair for games etc, however not in such a fundamental app as this which is part of the basic way the phone functions. A pro version would solve this if people are prepared to pay. We shall have to see now if Handcent follows suite, otherwise they have a distinct advantage in this respect.

Upvote 0
Personally, I've resisted updating - I thinks ads are generally fair for games etc, however not in such a fundamental app as this which is part of the basic way the phone functions. A pro version would solve this if people are prepared to pay. We shall have to see now if Handcent follows suite, otherwise they have a distinct advantage in this respect.
If this app was from Google, I'd agree. But, as the company behind Chomp have to keep a revenue stream going, I'm not really surprised they've inserted ads. The thing is, it's not like it came with the phone in the first place. This is a freebie by a commercial outfit. They do charge for their sms service, but it's probably not generating enough money on its own.

If anything, it's quite a calculated move. They've waited until they have a half decent foothold in the market before slipping the adverts in, banking on those people who like Chomp (like me) will grumble about it, but ultimately put up with the small ad. I wouldn't swap back to Handcent, even if they stay ad free. It'll be interesting to see how long they take to do the same though. :)

Cheers,
Jim

Upvote 0
If this app was from Google, I'd agree. But, as the company behind Chomp have to keep a revenue stream going, I'm not really surprised they've inserted ads. The thing is, it's not like it came with the phone in the first place. This is a freebie by a commercial outfit. They do charge for their sms service, but it's probably not generating enough money on its own.

If anything, it's quite a calculated move. They've waited until they have a half decent foothold in the market before slipping the adverts in, banking on those people who like Chomp (like me) will grumble about it, but ultimately put up with the small ad. I wouldn't swap back to Handcent, even if they stay ad free. It'll be interesting to see how long they take to do the same though. :)

Cheers,
Jim

Apparently you can donate $3 from the settings page to remove the ads:(

Upvote 0
Up until recently I would have said Chomp but now its Handcent. The simple reason being that the latest Chomp update is a disaster on my HTC Hero. It force closes when you try to send an sms. It doesn't receive sms's any more. But what it does really well is plaster istelf with adverts!.

I uninstalled chomp - installed handsent and got a flood of sms's coming through which chomp had managed to block.

Well done chomp! :mad:

Upvote 0
I dumped chomp and went to handcent.

I really liked chomp and would happily pay for it.
What I don't like is that they have one version of it and you have to click on their link to submit a donation with paypal.

If chomp wants to offer a premium version without ads, then they should have two versions on the Market. One with ads and a premium version without ads. Chomp wants us to support them, and we should because they write good software. But they should support Google and get their premium revenue through the Market and not Paypal.

Upvote 0
I dumped chomp and went to handcent.

I really liked chomp and would happily pay for it.
What I don't like is that they have one version of it and you have to click on their link to submit a donation with paypal.

If chomp wants to offer a premium version without ads, then they should have two versions on the Market. One with ads and a premium version without ads. Chomp wants us to support them, and we should because they write good software. But they should support Google and get their premium revenue through the Market and not Paypal.
They claim that in Australia they can't offer paid apps via the market - anyway I decided to cough up the

Upvote 0
I'm going to have to uninstall Chomp to test out whether their update has (re)created a problem I had with Handcent. It may be pure coincidence, but since updating, I've seen the same issue I had with Handcent...the notification vibrate happens when an SMS arrives, but the sound doesn't until I unlock the phone. Other than updating Chomp, nothing else has changed on my Hero over the past few days. This is one of the main reasons I sacked Handcent. Until yesterday's Chomp update, I hadn't experienced it again. Hmmm.

I do like the standard sms app on Android though, so I'll just go with that for a day or two to see if this goes away again. At least I'll know whether Chomp is the culprit. :(

Upvote 0
hey im happily using the default htc text app, but was wondering if handcent or chomp had any extra to offer in terms of what i like.

1. Does it allow you to delete single messages? the htc one only allows you to delete full threads.

2. Do any of them let you preview the whole message on top of the lockscreen and give you the option to mark as read or reply?

3. I do like how the htc one doesnt wake up the phone when you receive a message. I like just having the flashing ball tell me i got a new message. No need to wake up. Can any of them do this?

I dont need a whole lot of customization, just those 3 things would be nice. Thanks

1. The htc one does allow to delete single msg just long press on msg and it will popup
2.YOU CAN DOWNLOAD SMS POPUP FROM MARKET
3.SMS POPUP WILL SOLVE

Upvote 0
I'm just about to give Chomp a go, on the back of this thread. I've had Handcent more or less since I got the phone 18 months ago, but just lately it really lags when typing out messages and there are a lot of 'forced closes' lately. It's also slow at opening (although I hit on the idea that it might help to delete all my old threads - which forced it to close again) so I'll have a go with Chomp and see how that goes.

Upvote 0
I'm just about to give Chomp a go, on the back of this thread. I've had Handcent more or less since I got the phone 18 months ago, but just lately it really lags when typing out messages and there are a lot of 'forced closes' lately. It's also slow at opening (although I hit on the idea that it might help to delete all my old threads - which forced it to close again) so I'll have a go with Chomp and see how that goes.

Ok, quick one. Anyone know how to/if you can have your own ringtone for receiving messages on Chomp? So far I can only see a list of default ones. It's sad, I know but I'm lost without my AOL message.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones