• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CHOMP SMS--can I sort new/unread texts to the top??

CallMeChaz

Lurker
Mar 11, 2023
Why don't new and unread texts appear at the top of my list on Chomp? When I get a notice that I have a new text, I may have to scroll through dozens of screens to find it. I feel like there is a simple setting like the one on my email that will sort new and unread texts to the top, no?

That's odd. I haven't used Chomp in forever but don't recall it ever doing that. Is it a new issue or has it always been this way? How long have you been using Chomp?
I use Textra, it's made by the same developer and is great, I keep going back to it. There's never been an issue with sorting or incoming messages. I don't recall why I switched but think Textra is fabulous. (I know that doesn't help you, just saying lol)
I looked around and didn't see any mention of your issue in reviews or comments online, maybe contact the developer and ask.

Upvote 0
I'd also not used Chomp for a few years, but I just reinstalled it to test and for me it behaves like every other SMS app: threads are ordered by the most recent message in each (which is also how it always used to work).

On a quick scan I've not spotted any obvious setting to change this. So just a guess, but is there something funny about the messages themselves? Does the "new" message have a time in the past, or do you have other threads whose most recent message has a time in the future? It's only speculation, but if the message time got messed-up somehow then this could result in the sort of thing you describe. Depending on the pattern I can think of different scenarios for what would have to be corrupted, though if many threads appear before the new message then if this is the cause it would imply that something happened on your device, e.g. the times of your replies are wrong or at some point the times of everything got messed-up and so newer messages appear to be older than existing ones.

Just trying to come up with an explanation here, I don't know whether this is the case. But maybe check the times/dates of the "new" messages and compare to some of the older ones that are appearing above them? And also check your system clock, in case that's got the wrong time/date/year and that's causing new message to appear old?

Upvote 0
Why do you say "mine does the same thing" when it was you who started this thread?

As we said above, no that is not normal. In fact I still have it installed and can confirm that it still works normally. So it's something odd with your phone. Have you tried any of the suggestions above? Or clearing all data for Chomp (which doesn't erase messages as they are stored in a system database rather than the message app, so will reload after you start it again - you'll lose your customisations though).

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones