• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Choosing default clock/alarm app in Pixel 6 Pro

Papamalo

Android Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2011
Oakland
Selecting default clock/alarm app.

I have been really happy with this app called "Alarm Clock Extreme", which I used on my old phone an LG V30.
My favorite thing that it did was that I could just "hey google, set an alarm for 15 minutes" and it would set the alarm, and make the progress/countdown visible on the lock screen and when I drew the top notifications bar down.
The standard clock app, will allow me to create the alarm, but I can see the progress/countdown, and have to open the app and go into the alarm window to see how much time I have left.

I tried several ways of making Alarm Clock Extreme my default app, but can't seem to get that same performance out of it. There is an option to disable the built in system clock, but I am worried what that might do. I was hoping that with no other other clock apps to handle the request, that it would default to alarm clock extreme.
Any Ideas?
Thanks! (I probably could have said this in fewer words. Sorry)

Selecting default clock/alarm app.

I have been really happy with this app called "Alarm Clock Extreme", which I used on my old phone an LG V30.
My favorite thing that it did was that I could just "hey google, set an alarm for 15 minutes" and it would set the alarm, and make the progress/countdown visible on the lock screen and when I drew the top notifications bar down.
The standard clock app, will allow me to create the alarm, but I can see the progress/countdown, and have to open the app and go into the alarm window to see how much time I have left.

I tried several ways of making Alarm Clock Extreme my default app, but can't seem to get that same performance out of it. There is an option to disable the built in system clock, but I am worried what that might do. I was hoping that with no other other clock apps to handle the request, that it would default to alarm clock extreme.
Any Ideas?
Thanks! (I probably could have said this in fewer words. Sorry)

First, I apologize for the misinformation last time. It did work then but it doesn't anymore. I don't know why. Second, disabling the system clock won't help. I tried it. For better or worse, our Pixel 6 Pro has a setting that allows it to use apps that aren't installed on the phone. It's called "Instant apps" and it's buried under "Default apps". I disabled my phone's clock and turned off "Instant apps". The phone overrode my settings and still used the disabled clock app. Hopefully someone else can help you, I'm stumped.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones