Choosing wireless connection preferenceSupport

Last Updated:

1. stocker

stocker Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi folks,
    Did a bunch of searches, but didn't find anything related. Is there a way to get the phone to prefer wifi connections over using 3g if the wifi connection is available. I do 90% of my surfing on the phone at home, but don't want to have to shut off the 3g everytime I step in the house.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

I was under the impression the phone defaulted to Wifi if enabled....but I could be wrong :)

3. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

I have to remember to turn my wifi on when I get home as I don't leave it on all the time due to battery drain.

4. charlyee

charlyee Well-Known Member

That is how mine appears to work. I turn my WiFi on when it is available and that's what it connects to. :)

5. AKA_Rizzo

AKA_Rizzo Well-Known Member

I really hate how you have to search AndroidZoom by name and not tags... I couldn't find that WIFI widget that would automatically switch you due to either GPS location ( Make your house a point) or by available signal... crap..

Also, Make sure you have enabled "Never" in Wifi Sleep Policy.

Settings
    Wireless/Networks
    WIFI Settings
    Hit Menu then Advanced

This way when your phones ildes or sleeps it will force wifi connection. If not every time you turn the phone back on or wake it up it will have been on 3G the whole time.

6. stocker

stocker Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Well, I use the data on demand app that kills 3g when the screen turns off. Also have the wife turn off too when the screen turns off. I like having data, but I don't need updates that often.

7. madmurdoch

madmurdoch Well-Known Member

Juice Defender does this.

8. nb_mitch

nb_mitch Well-Known Member

I haven't had any 3G charges now in about 4 days :D I know there are Apps to shut off everything, but the big thing for me was setting the Sleep Mode option to never. I use Wefi Connect as an App, but I don't think it has any bearing on turning off the 3G.

If I ever leave the house, I might look at one of the Apps that shuts off all data connections and just syncs every 20 minutes or so. When I get to there, I would want an App to ask me if I really want to connect to 3G if it can't find a Wifi connection.