• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Clarification on BT car stereo functionality

Jazaddict

Lurker
Jul 17, 2014
Hey y'all
galaxy Note 3
I'm gonna upgrade to an aftermarket stereo. Sound quality aside, what capabilities come from the deck, and which come from the phone?

And.., there's a USB on the front, and one in my dock, so BT is necessary for what? Streaming audio only? Is there any benefit to USB connection in addition to or instead of BT?

My endgame is this:
Listen to SoundCloud
Listen to the phones xm
Listen to the phones Pandora
Voice control text message sending
Voice control answering or ignoring a call
Auto-setup (BT on, WiFi off when I get in the car, opposite when I leave)

I've read that these miraculous things can be found, I just can't tell which features come from the phone and which ones are in the radio.
I'm looking at the alpine cde-143bt pretty hard.
I like the Sony ones with their app, but the radios I want are asterisks in the playstore companion app to have reduced capabilities.

Anybody wanna wax on about their 'speriennce abd/or answer my questions about what features a radio must have?

I installed a JVC KD-R80BT. phone calls go through to stereo, Pandora is streamed and controlled from the deck. Contacts sync and call I'd comes up on deck. Initiate calls and use voice to select who to call. There is an app, but I found it easier to just go without. My XM is installed in the car, and I use a rear AUX jack. Currently not using the USB port, but it will charge, as well as use phone storage as a media source.

Upvote 0
I settled on the Sony n5000. Crutchfield had it for the cheapest new price with shipping, an install kit and a wiring harness thrown in for free.
Theoretically it's gonna do all that calling, I'd, etc. Has an nfc chip so I should be able to get some proximity profiling happenin' too.
Deck will deliver in a few daze, I'll report back

Upvote 0
I have the Sony Mex BT3900 head unit, it might not have a lot of the stuff that the latest units have but playing music though it from my Note 3 is pretty good, I can use it for voice calls which is very good, USB, and 3.5mm, but the Bluetooth quality when playing MP3's is really good.
It's an older head unit now but I'm very pleased with it's performance.

Upvote 0
Aight....a little more detail

The N5000 deck is freakin' wonderful.
The sound has so much adjustment that anybody should be able to tweak to their taste.

The Bluetooth was tricky to pair & keep. Once connected the functionality is most excellent.

The crutchfield deal of the mounting kit and the wire harness and the shipping all included for free was unbeatable.

Got the install done in 2 hours. (that included fixing the shifter indicator as long as I had the console apart)

So now I'm trying to learn about using the Deck's NFC to set up my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones