• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

kkarlin

Feb 2, 2010
I am wondering if there is some step I may be missing when performing ODIN because I am seeing artifacts of the previous OS even after performing an ODIN and factory reset. After forcing the Samsung Bug Fix using the directions I posted to this forum, I then tried applying BH_Man's hybrid ROM which I had been running before reverting back to Stock to get the update. The Hybrid ROM caused my phone to completely lock at the new Samsung screen. After waiting 30 minutes to get past that I finally decided it was time to ODIN back and start over. I wasn't thinking that would prove a problem, however I found two unexpected side effects: 1) I can't seem to get the update again. 2) I am seeing artifacts from the Hybrid ROM even after Multiple ODIN and Factory resets. Most important point is that the Home app now show's two entries -TWLauncher and "Do Not Select This - You Have Been warned". The second as I recall was in the Hybrid ROM (I don't think it was Galaxy but it might have been). Anyway, the point is that I would expect that after an ODIN and Factory Reset there would be NO artifacts from any alternate ROM.

Soooo, what am I missing? KAM182 and BH_Man - if you're around your insight in particular would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

I am wondering if there is some step I may be missing when performing ODIN because I am seeing artifacts of the previous OS even after performing an ODIN and factory reset. After forcing the Samsung Bug Fix using the directions I posted to this forum, I then tried applying BH_Man's hybrid ROM which I had been running before reverting back to Stock to get the update. The Hybrid ROM caused my phone to completely lock at the new Samsung screen. After waiting 30 minutes to get past that I finally decided it was time to ODIN back and start over. I wasn't thinking that would prove a problem, however I found two unexpected side effects: 1) I can't seem to get the update again. 2) I am seeing artifacts from the Hybrid ROM even after Multiple ODIN and Factory resets. Most important point is that the Home app now show's two entries -TWLauncher and "Do Not Select This - You Have Been warned". The second as I recall was in the Hybrid ROM (I don't think it was Galaxy but it might have been). Anyway, the point is that I would expect that after an ODIN and Factory Reset there would be NO artifacts from any alternate ROM.

Soooo, what am I missing? KAM182 and BH_Man - if you're around your insight in particular would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

ODIN does a complete flash of the phone's partitions, most importantly the system and kernel ones. There should not be anything left on these from the original. I suppose its possible if the flash is skipping blocks. The only way to be sure would be to dump the ROM and compare it to the ODIN files - but that is an advanced process.

I recommend that you perform a factory reset. ODIN doesn't have any reason to touch the data partition and this where apps can reside. Clearing this might fix your situation. If it doesn't then something odd is up.

Upvote 0
Woops, missed that detail. I have done a factory reset at least half a dozen times since installing the hybrid ROM. I have used both the software menu (Settings | Reset Settings) and the hardware method (Down Volume, Begin Call, End Call) to initiate recovery mode and hit menu to perform a factory reset.

So that is why I'm ultimately puzzled.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones