• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Clockwork Mod Recovery

Donjo

Sep 19, 2011
KORD
I have been stuck trying to install CyanogenMod 7 for the Droid 1. I for whatever reason cannot install it. It first became stuck in the CyanogenMod bootloop for over an hour when I pulled the battery. I forgot to clear the cache the first time. Now I have selected to clear both options from ROM Manager and when I select to start, it takes me straight into the Motorola "M" and boots into the phone...eventually. I have since then tried to use the Clockwork Mod Recovery, but it does the same thing. I try the "X" and power button, same thing. Tried the volume buttons and power button combo, same thing. Im running out of ideas :mad: Can someone please help me!?

Yes, could you please give more details as to exactly what you did with what results and in which order? I personally like to take and make a list, on paper, unless I am so familiar with the process that I can recite it verbatim when I need to.

What is a Cyanogenmod bootloop? Exactly.

'Forgetting to clear the cache' is probably where you made your mistake. You should almost always select the 'wipe data and cache' option AND the backup current ROM within Rom Manager when ever you flash a ROM. If at all possible, you should be able to restore you latest working nandroid backup.

Let us know.

Upvote 0
Quick question if anyone can help. I've got CM7 up running and good but it won't sync with my google acct. It didn't give the usual "input email and p-word" at boot, and doesn't even have an option to add a google acct in "Accounts and Sync." I've wiped just about everything I can find aside from my SD card in both RM and nandroid (had to flash a different one) and done factory reset's in both CM's settings and nandroid, and it is still not coming up. I got Charity's SG to work and it asked for the above, but I'm missing the notification power widgit. Any help would be much appreciated (and a case of Beer if I could get it to you).

Upvote 0
Yes. Whenever you flash any version of a Cyanogenmod ROM, you must make sure you flash the proper gapps .zip file that goes with it. And it sounds like you missed this step as that would probably be why ROM Manager is acting up for you too. Let me guess, you don't even have market do you?

My recommendation is to first download the CM7 gapps file, and put it on your sdcard. I have it, here. Then boot into CMRecovery manually. Since your rom is borked, don't bother with backing it up, but do do a factory data reset. Then flash the CM rom and before leaving recovery and booting up the phone flash the gapps file. This should get you fixed right up.

good luck

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
Thanks for the help, I ended up flashing charity rom, which comes with Rom manager, flashed CMrecovery 3.1.0.2 (as for some reason 2.5.0.1 which I've had forever randomly rebooting) and Flashing CM 7 (w/gapps) from there. It worked and I'm rockin' CyanogenMod 7 now. I know it's the hard way but it worked, actually easier than I thought. My poor Droid has been beaten and abused but I think I've managed to extend the life a bit longer. Still snappy and does almost everything I could want it to do (haven't figured out how to get it to pick the winning PowerBall ticket yet).

As a side note to all concerned, I have a 32G SD card, has anyone tried to see if they can get it to use some of that acreage to create virtual ram? Might help with the LP redraws and other speed issues, if it’s possible. I have found that a lot of the redraw issues stem from me having too many widgets!! When I get rid of a few it tends to come back a lot quicker.

Upvote 0
Well, yes, you took the long way around the barn to fix your situation. But you fixed it and posted how, that's the important part.

As far as your side note, I'll give two quick replies; further discussion on that should be started/moved to another thread.

One, although the specs say the A855 can handle a 32gig sdcard, I have read lots of problems about people actually getting them to work well (maybe because 32gig cards weren't actually readily available at release date/time?)?

Two, I highly doubt that trying to use any part of an sdcard would help any of the redraw issues on the A855. Figure the sdcard as the equivalent of a hard drive on your PC, but in some ways slower.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones