• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ClockworkMod Based Recovery v6.0.3.7 for Prevail2/Ring

Someone just shoot me, it took 30 seconds to install and I was at this for hours,You knew exactly what I was doing wrong, the posts on the old prevail it was the 3 button. THANK YOU so much for your help, I'm actually writing this all down in my little Prevail 2 notebook so when I go to do the wife's phone I won't feel so stupid, thanks again for your help and patience.

Reactions: Slayer72
Upvote 0
So I'm a noob, admittedly, and I dont have access to my pc, so I'm trying to flash the new cwm with terminal emulator, and I'm just not getting it right. I've seen two different types of commands, so I'm wondering if someone can write out the correct command for the prevail 2 , I would greatly appreciate it. When I re boot in recovery, it says android system recovery. It should say clockwork right?

Upvote 0
well first delete the file /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
^runs at boot/shutdown and flashes stock recovery if cwm installed^

then i think you wouldve flashed with dd to mmcblk0p8
im NOT sure what partition it is and DONT take my word for it
but try whatever command you did over and see if you have any luck

The command I used is dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13

Upvote 0
Here is the system mounts and there names for future devolopement

/boot emmc /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
/system ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p17
/data ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p19 length=-16384
/cache ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p18
/recovery emmc /dev/block/mmcblk0p15
/sdcard vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /dev/block/mmcblk1
/efs ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p14
/modem emmc /dev/block/mmcblk0p6
/carrier ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p20
/preload ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p21
/modem_bkp emmc /dev/block/mmcblk0p22

Upvote 0
Hey guys, Koumajutsu here.

I have the first build of CWM for our phone. It's nearly complete but quite usable. The only things missing are ADB and I cheated a little in supporting the internal sdcard which may lead to issues if an update.zip wipes /data.
EDIT: looks like ADB works in windows, but not in Linux

(Turns out the internal SDcard is actually a folder in /data)

This works on the Prevail 2. It is untested on the Ring but should work.

I don't have a good screenshot as of this moment, nor a good copy of Odin to use bundled with it. Heimdall works great though :)

here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0b3hr8t14p2p1e/CWM_Prevail2_Ring_Koumajutsu.tar

Hey kouma so I finally got the mh5 stock rom to flash wt ur cwm base recovery than I flash the the mh5 modem u made to update modem but d baseband didnt update and it reverted.bak to the original recovery so I try to flash ur cwm bak n wont do it any ideas? Tnx in advance

Thanks go to Koush for supplying the source.
Shabbypenguin for helping me where I got stuck, supplying me with my initial device tree, and helping me deal with fstab issues.
And to OUDHitsquad for motivating and listening to me vent.

Hey kouma so I finally got the mh5 stock rom to flash wt ur cwm base recovery than I flash the the mh5 modem u made to update modem but d baseband didnt update and it reverted.bak to the original recovery so I try to flash ur cwm bak n wont do it any ideas? Tnx in advance

Upvote 0

Root your phone again and remove /system/recovery-from-boot.p using a file explorer that will remount /system as writeable, such as ES File Explorer File Manager
That will keep it from overwriting recovery on boot

Though, most people just make sure they get into recovery after flashing before it gets overwritten.
Then, it will root and remove the recovery overwriting script for you when you reboot

Upvote 0
are you at work again?:d

lol good memory but no at court this time i was trying to say that phone is still rooted so i just go ahead and re-root the phone after erasing the recovery thing than flash again in odin and also when i try to download apps from play store at the end it says insifficiant storage space but i have gbz of space open

Upvote 0
lol good memory but no at court this time i was trying to say that phone is still rooted so i just go ahead and re-root the phone after erasing the recovery thing than flash again in odin and also when i try to download apps from play store at the end it says insifficiant storage space but i have gbz of space open

if you're still rooted, then just remove the recovery patch file and then flash the new recovery in Odin.
as for the insufficient storage issue, try doing a factory reset using the stock recovery before flashing the new recovery

Upvote 0
I've been using directory Bind with great success. It will create symlinks allowing you to have just about everything moved to your extsdcard. If you use a file manager like Root Explorer, when you access a diverted Dir, you will note that at the top it will show the remaining space on the extsdcard, not the 'internal' one. Set the permission for root, then set the app to use the 'persistent' and alternate database as well, just to be extra cautious. I tried joemosjr script but had no luck on any of my devices, plus, at least to me, this seems to be the safest route. Although i don't know what would happen if it unlinked. android reports store capacity as 1. something with .98 avail. with one misc. dir taking up about 5gb. Weird but it works.
Ben

Upvote 0
if you're still rooted, then just remove the recovery patch file and then flash the new recovery in Odin.
as for the insufficient storage issue, try doing a factory reset using the stock recovery before flashing the new recovery

Hello kouma where would i find that recovery patch file? and phones stuck on boot animation how can i fix this get it to fully turn on

Upvote 0
/system/recovery-from-boot.p

as for your phone being stuck at the boot animation... No clue. It all depends on what you broke, just undo that :)

i looked for for that in the /system/recovery-from-boot-.p from the last time u told me to delete that i did and i tryed looking for it again and no luck its not there i dont think it came back from reflashing ur recovery but the files that have bst spr common vas xas etc there like 4 of each and i looked in /system in all of the but there was something else recovery.sh i deleted that but similiar situation is going on like last time when you said there is a chance it might be fixed but probebly not remember? and it that worked bout a rom thing it turns on samsung shows triangle pops up and shuts back off it can go into download mode upload sometimes and when it trys tp turn on boot animation turns on n stays on it and theres 6 binaries as it shows in download mode

Upvote 0
I'm having troubles with getting CWM to stick as well. I am a noob, so bear with me. With that being said, I ended up downloading a poorly developed app and ended up corrupting my OS. Now my phone just turns on and after the Samsung logo, just stays black. I flashed CWM with Odin in hopes that it would work, but system recovery seems to be overriding it. I have an unofficial stock ROM that I could use to fix my phone, but I can't flash it with the system recovery. I cannot delete that file that you guys are talking about to make system recovery not override, so I am really lost and have no idea what to do. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones