• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Clockworkmod Recovery Question Partition

elbeeuk

Aug 7, 2010
Hi all,
Bit confused with this.
I'm wanting to partition the SD card with a 512MB ext 3 partition but having a problem following instructions provided here as my screens/options don't seem to match up with what's advised (no issue with people's instructions as I'm sure they're 100% right as they work for everyone else just not me :().
I've tried using ROM manager to do the partition, enter the settings(512MB, 0MB swap), it reboots to recovery but doesn't actually do anything. Just shows me the android + triangle image. If I press the power button, it takes me into clockwork. The log on the main screen says:
ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.0.7
Finding Update Package...
Opening Update Package...
Verifying Update Package...
E:failed to verify whole file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation Aborted

If I look in the menus in ClockworkMod Recovery, I don't have a partition SD card option either but I've seen people mention that it should be there. Anyone know why it's not there or what I can do to fix it? Is it my update.zip on the sd card that's the prob? I've browsed to the zip file on the phone and the contents seem to relate to ClockworkMod Recovery (nandroid and stuff).

I've also tried using Gparted on a live CD to do it. Got to the gparted window where I can see the laptop's hard drive but my machine doesn't see the micro sd on the phone even though I've connected it in recovery mode with the SD card mounted.
other than not being seen there, it is visible in Windows Disk management. I can see it in Explorer and browse through without any errors so SD card doesn't seem to be the problem(I don't think).

If it's of use, I'm running:
HTC Desire
MIUI 0.12.31
Android version 2.2.1
Baseband Vers 33.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2
Kernel Vers 2.6.35.9 (MIUI@MIUI #25 from 29th December 2010)

Any help is appreciated. If I've missed any info/settings that would help, let me know and I'll add it to the thread.

Cheers guys and gals
Elbee

The option is only available via rom manager not by clockwork itself, even though it uses clockwork to do it.

If you really want to do it this way, you have to first use the "Flash clockworkmod recovery" option (first menu option) in ROM manager.

Note: It doesnt really flash rom manager, it puts update.zip on your sd card and boots into that. This method is called "fake Flash"

Although I do prefer to recommend using Gparted live cd / live usb (bootable) to do this as per the apps2sd+ faq.

Upvote 0
Cheers for the fast reply SURoot.
I agree that the gparted way is better as you see what you're doing rather than ROM manager doing things behind the scenes without your control. I was using your faq (used it for rooting a while back and it was invaluable!!), the issue I've got on the gparted side of things is that I can't get it to show up in gparted with the phone in recovery and the storage mounted. Any ideas why this is? I've tried alternative USB ports and a different PC but it won't appear in gparted.:(

Just to clarify, at step 3 in the partition section in your guide, where you say "3) Connect your device in Recovery mode and mount as USB mass storage" the option I'm going to in CM Recovery is
Mounts and Storage>Mount USB Storage?
Is this right?
Any ideas why this is? I've tried alternative USB ports and a different PC but it won't appear in gparted.:(

I've also tried the flash CM Recovery option in ROM manager but the same message appears in CM Recovery
ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.0.7
Finding Update Package...
Opening Update Package...
Verifying Update Package...
E:failed to verify whole file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation Aborted

Should I try renaming the update.zip, run the flash option in ROM manager again and see if that helps or will that cock something up? I've backed everything up.

Cheers
Elbee

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones