• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM12.1 Alpha Progress...

Well, I was waiting for permission before sharing links, but wanted to share some info on a somewhat compatible image for the LS620. We haven't had an update since Dec for CM12.1, so have been looking around. Wanted to find an option to increase my memory in my son's phone, as there isn't much available for apps. I wasn't able to successfully increase the size without lagging(read it worked, but very slow...may have been my Cl10 sdcard, not sure. I used this method http://androidforums.com/threads/make-sd-card-as-internal-memory.887942/ and was able to increase the size.)

Anyhow, what I found interesting was there were some new "unofficial" L70 CM12.1 builds by @vladimirs77 here: http://androidforums.com/threads/di...oid-lollipop-and-partition-table-tool.921136/ The latest 2-27 build works pretty well after modifying the updater-script file and the fixup.sh to include the w5c (LGLS620) and also changing the boot.img to our current version. The build works pretty good out of the box, but the only issue I found so far was the Settings.apk crashing when trying to enable other sources for install. Camera doesn't work, but then again, it hasn't yet.
The security issue is tolerable though; if you flash dirty on top of the 12-17 image, other sources will still be enabled. Also, ADB installs work for sideloading. i attempted a localhost ADB through 127.0.0.1, but wasn't successful...

I'm not going to upload the modified zip, but if anyone is interested in an updated 12.1 version, I'll post the changes I made to the files listed for comparison.

Update: I'm happy with the results of the port and will post a link. (Was having issues with recompressing the system.new.DAT after the keymaster fix.
See post below.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I was waiting for permission before sharing links, but wanted to share some info on a somewhat compatible image for the LS620. We haven't had an update since Dec for CM12.1, so have been looking around. Wanted to find an option to increase my memory in my son's phone, as there isn't much available for apps. I wasn't able to successfully increase the size without lagging(read it worked, but very slow...may have been my Cl10 sdcard, not sure. I used this method http://androidforums.com/threads/make-sd-card-as-internal-memory.887942/ and was able to increase the size.)

Anyhow, what I found interesting was there were some new "unofficial" L70 CM12.1 builds by @vladimirs77 here: http://androidforums.com/threads/di...oid-lollipop-and-partition-table-tool.921136/ The latest 2-27 build works pretty well after modifying the updater-script file and the fixup.sh to include the w5c (LGLS620) and also changing the boot.img to our current version. The build works pretty good out of the box, but the only issue I found so far was the Settings.apk crashing when trying to enable other sources for install. Camera doesn't work, but then again, it hasn't yet.
The security issue is tolerable though; if you flash dirty on top of the 12-17 image, other sources will still be enabled. Also, ADB installs work for sideloading. i attempted a localhost ADB through 127.0.0.1, but wasn't successful...

I'm not going to upload the modified zip, but if anyone is interested in an updated 12.1 version, I'll post the changes I made to the files listed for comparison.

Will this work for the vs450pp? And if not what needs to be done to get it rolling, if even possible.. I've been reading a bit on porting roms and haven't had the ability to really do much until now since i finally got a good pretty powerful laptop with 8gb of ram and a 1tb hd. This is a throw away phone cuz i have a G4 main phone and G3 with tons of development so, this is a learning experience and I'll gladly soak up any info splashing around.

Upvote 0
Will this work for the vs450pp?
I believe it would. If you go back earlier, there was a dd image copy procedure which somewhat turned a vs450pp into a lg realm with the cm capabilities. In don't think we ever got a flashable ROM for the vs450... I played around with that and had it working, once you had that flashed, you could update from the w5c images.
To be honest, the realm was a better device for me because of the radio(FM and the Sprint). I found a lady on eBay selling unused logic boards which are a direct replacement for the Verizon one. Also has the front camera connection on the board if you can get a camrra module.The boards were cheap and allowed service on the sprint network. I could flash all the ls620 w5c images with no problems.
There are some more steps to take if you image your board using dd. I would def make a backup image before you do anything and also you need to backup your modemst1 and modemst2 to use it on the Verizon network. Otherwise, you have a cool cm 12.1 mp3 player!
I might get one of my vs450pps out and try to port in one of the zips but that will depend on time available.

Upvote 0

I am interested in the changes made so that I can learn and eventually do it myself. I have a bunch of Realms and Fuels.

Been following this thread for some time now itching for an update... Thanks OP so far for what you've given us.. Ill still be watching this thread

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I feel confident in uploading my latest port if anyone would like to use it for testing purposes. Its not as refined to the w5c as the earlier submissions were, but it operates pretty dang smooth.
Only issues I have (aside from non-working cameras) is having to manually move a backup keymaster folder to /system/vendor/ after flashing or booting.
I attempted to mount the system and update the image prior to flashing, but had some issues with that after boot. Easiest fix is just to move a backup copy of that folder to vendor after deleting the existing one.
Like I said, will try to upload tonight and will have some instructions and files available.
Again, if anyone could fix the camera, this would be a great help.

Update: Sorry, didn't upload Friday; was a busy weekend. Didn't get a chance to upload a working zip until now. Will include link and md5sum in next post.
I am uploading port from Vladimir77's 3-26 build for the l70. Cleaned up a few things in the fixup script, and seems to work pretty well so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Reactions: wipeoutlol
Upvote 0
By request I have uploaded an LS620 full flash image for use on the VS450PP. This image has TWRP and CM12.1 preinstalled. If you intend to use this, make sure the phone is activated first, as you will not have any way to activate it later. In order to flash back to stock you would need a full flash backup from the VS450PP. Make sure to backup and restore modemst1 and modemst2. I do not recommend using this, a better solution would be to finish up a proper build for the VS450PP. Anyway, here it is:
http://www.jacobstoner.com/ls620-fullflash.gz
Direct modification of the partitions carries significant risk of bricking, you have been warned.

I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to use this flash file but cannot figure out how to do it, I did search all over before asking but cannot find anything, can you please point me in the right direction. I really don't mind the risk since the device is useless to me unless I can get it to work with 5.0. Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones