• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CMW or other recovery

551280jjj

Lurker
May 19, 2013
Had issues with stock recovery and now it says it cannot load /misc... i heard its an overly common issue. i rooted to use the hotspot with virgin mobile. i was wondering if any one had a port and information for begginers on how to flash a recovery, im new to flashing so help would be wonderfull

Had issues with stock recovery and now it says it cannot load /misc... i heard its an overly common issue. i rooted to use the hotspot with virgin mobile. i was wondering if any one had a port and information for begginers on how to flash a recovery, im new to flashing so help would be wonderfull

This cannot be done do to the bootloader being lock.
People tried various things to unlock it but they end up in a bootloop. With no way to fix it the phone is "dead".
Only Kyocera knows how to unlock it, but they are scared of violating their contract with phone companies (like virgin mobile or boost mobile), so they will not tell us anything. And phone companies don't like us being rooted and have the freedom androids deserve so they will not help either. If you read the "Porting ClockworkMod to the Kyocera Rise" thread you will learn what everyone did and the effects.
Heres the thread http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=660612
Hope this helps :)

Reactions: dibblebill
Upvote 0

how did u get the hotspot to work? a app or a built in hotspot??

Upvote 0
Of course. Saying "I did it but won't tell you how" is sidetracking in its own way, but yes. The other guys are right- we've had zero luck with unlocking this device, its bootloader, its recovery, hell, even a custom kernel or deep-level OS modifications. Its a shame Kyocera's scared of Virgin, and Virgin seems relatively scared of rooting.

@Mike: I apologize for getting off topic

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
btw i have cwm

This is coming from one who has cwm yet inquireing about how to use tether.Forementioned equates way more competence than a simple app initial wise there is no form of cwm even though I had mine unlocked momentarily which bricks the phone by turning it off in anyway.If you chose to mod anything on this phone make sure you know what your actually doing prior as their is no way to recover at the moment

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones