• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

come laugh at my expense. taken for a ride on a used cellphone purchase

nowucme

Nov 14, 2014
So ive been in the market for a used mhl capable cell phone so I can use it on my unlimited plan with metro to stream online movies and live tv to my tv.

I figured I go the used route since this line wouldnt get used much like a regular phone anyway (I already have my own cell and plan)

After much research I decided for the price and specs the xperia z would be the way to.go.

Went onto amazon and looked at ones listed in "like new" condition. I wouldnt mind a ding or two so long as they were minor and not on the screen. I picked one from a seller who had all 5 star reviews and only sold maybe a dozen items. Figured it'd be better than buying from a huge cell seller on there and it'd be in good shape since they probably owned it personally.

Anyway I buy this used and it was a little over 200.

It shows up last night....and I knew I was trouble soon as I got the charger out of the box (it came out before the phone) dirty...looked like someone was chewing on the cord previously.

I get to the phone and its a disaster. Dings all up n.down the sides... power button scraped up to hell to the point you had to push it several times to power on.

Oh btw the phone was ON when it came. Not factory reset. It seemed like someone stole it n sold it with nothing it was dirty too. Ports looked like some dust/dirt got in.

Then to top it off I decided to go online and check the imei # just for fun....not blacklisted but apparently the device was financed and the bill wasn't paid off!!

Why lie?

I messaged the seller and said its beat to crap...you listed like new....can't be activated unlike what you told me in the ad because there's an outstanding bill on the device

Their response "sorry I didn't know...send it back for refund"

Smh! Wtf man?

I normally buy new as well. That was my first attempt to buy a used phone. I decided so I could save some $ because im really only using it for viewing purposes via mhl and all mhl phones are $$$ or not very good.

After I get the refund I do intend to go the ebay route especially because I know there sellers who give a damn can be found.

Plus if the price is right I might opt for the zperia x ultra (6.4 inch screen which makes it double as a tablet in many ways)

Upvote 0
Also check Swappa, many use that also, especially over at XDA

I also usually buy from eBay, and buy from buyers with 100% with over at least 100 feedbacks. Don't be scared to ask the seller questions before you purchase, to make sure you have all the facts about the device first. This way you have it recorded in your messages from eBay and if you have an issue gives you even more credence.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones