• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Compare voice recordings and trigger a function in Android

Hey all,

I got some interesting idea for a cellphone application, and since Android seems like a nice and easy platform for it, I started to code it with Android SDK.

Anyhow, I'm looking for a solution for a main functionality in my application.

My application need to record several voice commands from the user, and then attach each recording to a specific "command" in my application.

Like: 1.Record a command and save it in the memory
2. Prompt the user to say a command
3. Compare the new command with the recorded one, if Similar, call function X, if not call function Y,
etc..

Basically all I want is to actually imitate the function that many phones have, when you tag a phone contact with a voice recording, and then you can call that contact if you repeat his recorded name with your voice.

All I found so far is a way-over-the-top solution with Google's voice service, which I certainly don't need and don't want.
I don't need a fancy speech-to-text functionality, and I don't want to depend on the Internet. The API needs to be strictly local.

Does a "voice comparison" function exist in Android SDK? If not, can I implement it without too much hassle?

Thanks a lot!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones